Thread: Discworld

1. Discworld

I've been absolutely addicted to the Discworld series lately. Funny that it all started with a friend recommending Good Omens to me and my finding The Colour of Magic during the closing sale at a Waldenbooks before it sank into its papery hell.

Pratchett, in all honesty, reminds me most of Mark Twain if he were born far later, but in Britain, and decided to primarily write fantasy novels. He has that same, curmudgeony wit to his writing. I blazed through The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, and Equal Rites and am currently almost done with Mort. Sure, they're not horribly difficult reads, but you can tell he loves what he writes and loves that you're reading it by the way he plays with the reader.

Also, best exchange I've ever read:
    Mort: How do you get all those coins?
    Death: IN PAIRS.

I don't know how I didn't hear about this series sooner. Anyone else a fan?

2. I love Discworld! Started reading after the PS1 game came out, read everything from The Colour of Magic to Going Postal. Haven't been as diligent in keeping up with 'em lately, but the Hogfather movie from last year looks like it's very good.

Pratchett is a neat writer. Never did play the second game, I figured it wouldn't hold up to the books after I started down that road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Total fan, you've probably seen me sneak a few prachett lines into my arguments at times.

4. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I love Discworld! Started reading after the PS1 game came out, read everything from The Colour of Magic to Going Postal. Haven't been as diligent in keeping up with 'em lately, but the Hogfather movie from last year looks like it's very good.
    Seems you're only two behind. Thud! and Making Money seem to be the only newer ones. The next novel Pratchett is releasing seems to be totally unrelated, though.

I still can't believe how consistently funny he can be with the sheer VOLUME of work he publishes. He has thirty-something Discworld novels alone since 1988(?) and they're all pretty funny, from what I hear. That's a feat.