Page 1 of 18 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Comcast May Drop Flat Rates for Unlimited Internet Usage

1. Comcast May Drop Flat Rates for Unlimited Internet Usage

I'd be surprised if it happens any time soon, but the Associated Press is reporting that Comcast, the second-largest cable company in the United States, is considering charging users who currently have unlimited data usage plans for going over a certain limit.

As more consumers download movies and music online, Internet service providers have to grapple with how to manage their traffic so that bandwidth hogs don't slow down the network for the lighter users among the company's 14.1 million subscribers.

For years, Comcast directly called customers who used up several times more bandwidth than the typical subscriber's 2 gigabytes per month - for instance, by downloading hordes of movies. The big users were asked to reduce their use or have their accounts canceled. . . .

Comcast describes excessive users as those who send, for instance, 40 million e-mails or download 50,000 songs a month.

One option is to cap the bandwidth usage at 250 gigabytes per month. If the 250 gigabytes is allotted for just downloads, that's enough to handle about 50 high-definition movies, 250 standard-definition movies or more than 6,000 songs every month.

If users exceed that cap, they could be charged $15 for every 10 gigabytes they go over.
    Is anyone here even close to that kind of usage? And on a related note, why don't ISPs or the government start collecting a small fee (a few cents) on every e-mail sent, in order to cut into spammers? If ISPs did this, they could lower their rates a little, and if the government did this, it could replace some funding that was previously provided by the post office.

2. Alright, I'm using about 1 gig a month. How much does a site like TNL utilize Nick?

3. Oh, hell, we definitely go over the limits in the article, but the server can use 2.5 terabytes of data before I have to pay extra. The article's talking about individual accounts, not business accounts.

250 GB/month sounds reasonable. I don't think I've ever gone over that.

The highest my usage ever gets is now, since I DL all the hockey playoff games I can't watch.

I don't know how much my gaming uses though.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

5. I see, I don't know these kind of things. Not in my realm of responsibility.

6. How much bandwidth do streaming movies/radio take up per month, I wonder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. I pay an awful lot of money for my Comcast account. If that's partly due to spammers and pirates sucking up all the bandwidth they can, I'm all for reasonable rates with fees for overages. The article quoted another ISP as saying 5% of the users move 50% of the data. That should be addressed in some way.

Does anyone like the e-mail fee proposal?

I think it would do amazing things for the economy but I don't think I'd be able to afford it.

The government needs to make more money off of this somehow though. Much as I hate to say it. Because I like free.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

9. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I hate spammers

Does anyone like the e-mail fee proposal?
    Sorry Nick, send me a bill for my percent of TNL usage via pm.

I love the EMAIL idea, it's actually simple and effective and would not only replace postal revenue, but actually exceed it.

Business could play a flat rate, say 50 users a month is 100 dollar per month billed.

Individuals could pay 3 cents per email or something. In addition, it could set precedents that would finally make spamming much more equal to mail fraud charges.
    Last edited by Othello Harrington; 08 May 2008 at 04:33 PM.

what about instant messenger?

or g-mail's messenger which is basically live e-mail with archiving?

I think that would be complicated and messy. If you charge for e-mails but not instant messengers then who is going to e-mail anyone anymore? And if you charge for instant messengers...fuck it, the internet is useless.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie