Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offcial Riisuke Is The Only One Who Doesn't Like Metropolis Thread

1. Offcial Riisuke Is The Only One Who Doesn't Like Metropolis Thread

Yeah.

So the movie is very INTERESTING. It's got a super unique design aesthetic, thanks to its high production values and retro designs, and freakish music. I just didnt like it tho. The freaky deak characters didnt gel with the realistic environment (for me anyway), the majority of the characters just weren't all that interesting (except Protoman--err, Rock)...pretty much a case of nothing happening that made me pay real close attention.
    Compare your life to mine and KILL YOURSELF!!!

2. Well, I didnt like the character designs much either. As I said in other Metropolis thread, they just felt weird. They did not look normal or real like, nor they were super deformed. The DUke's nose looked like a big beak. Like a Dodo bird. I liked Rock's design though, but even he looked strange.

The enviroments were gourgess, greatly animated, and beautiful to look at, but the characters were not

3. Bwa ha ha - nice avatar, Despair.

"Beneath the skin....we are already.....ONE." YAA HA HAAAAAAAAAAA

*ahem*

Metropolis: I also thought the old-school character design clashed with the fantastic CG environments, to the point of distraction, unfortunately. I realize the story originated back in the 50s or something, but it lessened the immersion factor for me severely.

That aside, I loved the story. Lots of philosophical musings, the impact of which has certainly been lessened over time, but rather interesting nonetheless.

If Metropolis had been released around the time of Akira, I believe it would have been hailed as an all-time classic.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

4. Overall I enjoyed it for 2 reasons.

1. visual style\Animation

2. Rin Taro

It wasnt the most well put together movie though, so I could see how some might not like it.

I still think it would have been better (and a lot darker) if they followed the original manga more closely.

lee

5. I think I was the first to speak against Metropolis on the official thread, I was sooo looking forward to it, but it just did not come together at all. The only part I was overtaken by the film and felt something was when Ray Charles was singing. I liked the character designs, I like that they were taking chances. I loved the idea of Rintaro and Otomo making a grand spectacle of a film and that it was a love letter to Tezuka, but the animation did not live up to that, and the story was theadbare. There is plenty more spectacular animes that have great animation, and cool ideas, and lots of soul. Metropolis just didn't do it for me.
    pwned by Ivan

6. I've been meaning to watch this, but to be brutally honest, knowing some of the prior work of some of the people who were involved in the film kinda makes me a bit gun shy. I'm not a big fan of the work of Rintaro or the other big person who worked on this anime, and from what I hear, I'd rather not watch it because I've been lead to believe that I would be just as bored watching Metropolis as I was watching Akira or Ghost in the Shell...

7. If Akira and GITS (both of which I think are masterpeices) bored you, then stay the hell away from Metropolis. There is nothing in Metropolis that Akira or GITS does much better.
    pwned by Ivan

8. Originally posted by Green
    If Akira and GITS (both of which I think are masterpeices) bored you, then stay the hell away from Metropolis. There is nothing in Metropolis that Akira or GITS does much better.
    So I take it that Metropolis is also full of high-school "I'm trying to be profound and I'm not succeeding" philosphical angst, and that the story also makes no sense due to massive compression?

Wow. Surpassing both Akira and GitS in bore factor is quite a feat...

9. I'm also a bit up in arms on whether to get it or not. Granted its only 15 bucks at Wal mart, but I have the worst luck when it comes to returns and such. It looks intriguing visually, and the story sounds alright, but the character designs and such don't grab me. And when i don't care about the characters, how can I like the movie?

10. I liked it overall, but it borrowed _way_ too much from Akira. There were moments I was surprised they just didn't lift the footage from Akira directly instead of remaking it. I liked the contrast of the character designs vs the serious nature of the plot, but again like Akira, it also suffers from severe plot compression. They should have snipped the subplots and focused solely on the main plot.

It's almost better to view it as a work of art rather than someting that's meant to be immediately understood, like watching it without subs so you can't understand what is being said and enjoy the sounds and sights of this anime.

In my opinion, the best animated movie is still Bueatiful Dreamer.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2