Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Same Name, Different Game

1. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Shadow Dancer is another interesting one, though that's 16-bit era.
    ESWAT and Moonwalker were totally different from their arcade counterparts too.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    I hate this game on principle.

It took my friend and I 10 years of on-and-off casual play to finish it. A "Game Over" screen was our reward.

It was worse than when I finally finished Return to Zork.

Was there an ending to Shinobi in any version?
    Shinobi had a story?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Oh yeah!

You're a pissed of Ninja bent on revenge on those that have

A) Killed your family
    B) Killed your teacher
    C) Made fun of your funny looking garb
    D) Ate your ice cream while you were out and put the empty container back in your ninja fridge
    E) Some combination of any of the stories above!

I think I've covered all releases of shinobi.
    Last edited by Othello Harrington; 11 May 2008 at 11:02 PM.

4. Punch-Out!! - NES over arcade
    Can't agree with that. The arcade version is faster in the best way possible, and it looks a hojillion times better, too.

5. Though it's not exactly a port, Pinbot (NES) was fairly interesting, because of the addition of creatures to the playfield, in later levels. I didn't like it at first, but it made the game a little more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold
    Was there an ending to Shinobi in any version?
    Yes, the arcade, NES, and PC Engine versions have one although it's nothing too special. I haven't played any of the computer ports to the end.

And I think Biff should play SMS Shinobi again. I think it's as good as the arcade game if not better. It's kind of like the NES Contra situation. It might be graphically downgraded but the feel and art style are different enough to have people prefer one over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Tain
    Can't agree with that. The arcade version is faster in the best way possible, and it looks a hojillion times better, too.
    I don't know if I like it more but it does make me sad that most gamers don't remember the two arcade Punch Out!! games prior to Tyson's. Those are some of my best arcade memories.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 11 May 2008 at 11:24 PM.

7. You know, this may be grounds for treason but I was never really a fan of shinobi. I always much prefered Rolling Thunder.

8. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Salamander/Life Force...
    "with new weapons perceived some disquieting movement"

9. Quote Originally Posted by Kiken View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Salamander/Life Force...

Truth, the NES version wins hands-down.

This one always baffled me. I appreciate that NES Contra was an unusally high quality port of the arcade game, but what did it actually improve? It still seems like a slightly toned down version of the same game with lesser graphics and sound.
    So much gray, NES version seemed more porportioned for sprite sizes and better control too. *-neo
    Last edited by Low; 11 May 2008 at 11:35 PM.

10. All of this Double Dragon talk, and no mention of II and III. Nes and PC Engine DDII were entirely new games. And damn good too.

I know people hate on NES III, but I loved ir and by any measure it was a billion times better than the mess the arcade/genesis game was.