Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Art of Bass

1. The Art of Bass

I fully expect everyone to hate this shit, and this thread be completely ignored, but I'm drunk and feeling the music, so you get to put up with it anyway. I've posted mixes and talked about it here before, but I thought a proper introductory thread might be fun.

Dubstep is a style of electronic music which was born out of the UK's garage, d'n'b and grime scenes. It's identified by it's dark tone, deep sub-bass, and more often than not, beats which appear to be playing at half-tempo, while the bass chugs along at around 140bpm. Sounds technical huh. It's not, really.

The thing I love about dubstep is how varied the influences are from track to track. Obviously it's progenitor styles are fairly well represented. You can find a lot to like if you're a fan of garage, 2step, d'n'b or grime. But there's also a lot of stuff lifted from reggae, dub, techno, house, hip hop, r'n'b and other stuff.

One major part of dubstep that i won't be able to convey here, is the bass. The style is built around deeeeeeep low freq. sub bass shit. The best way (only way?) to really appreciate it is in a club with a good sound system. There are dubstep parties in most major cities around the world now, so it shouldn't be too hard to get down and get your skank on. It's amazing fun. Your whole body vibrates with the music, and you find things in the bass that you just can't hear with headphones.

So anyway, let's listen to some of this shit.

Skream

Skream is one of the most prolific and popular dubstep producers. This track, Midnight Request Line, is probably the most widely circulated dubstep track, and is basically the first thing people hear when they think 'dubstep'. The second Skream track I chose really illustrates the half-tempo beats + full tempo bass thing I was talking about up top.

Skream - Midnight Request Line

Skream - Rottan

Benga

Benga is also considered one of the originators of the sound. I like some of his more laid back stuff, such as this track, Zero M2. Also, the wobble at 1:50 is fucking dirty.

Benga - Zero M2

Coki

One half of Digital Mystikz, a driving force in the UK party scene.

Coki - Oskilatah

Kromestar

Kromestar is grime producer Iron Soul's dubstep alias. Heavy dub-infused shit.

Kromestar - Shapeshifter

kode9

Another major player in the scene, kode9 owns and operates the Hyperdub label.

kode9 - 9 Samuri

Plastician

Plastician is a positive force for the scene, playing various pirate radio shows, and a residency slot at BBC Radio One. This track is so awesome. Chilled out, and that bass is fucking dangerous.

Plastician - Japan

Burial

Most of the music discussion regulars know how much I loved Burial's two albums. He is strictly a bedroom producer, and is generally loved throughout the scene.

Burial - Archangel

I'm going to stop now. I've barely scratched the surface, but it's a start. I hope someone enjoys something If you want more info, or more music, I would suggest hitting dubstep.fm and dubstepforum.com
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

I hate this shit.

3. An older kid back in Jr. High had this cassette tape with a warning label on it. Something like: "DANGEROUS LEVELS OF BASS! MAY CAUSE HEART PROBLEMS AND DISLODGE YOUR LUNGS!" or some such.

I took this as a grave warning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. When I clicked on this thread I thought I'd find some tips towards improving my bass playing. Alas.

Also, low frequencies are just as damaging to your hearing as high, though they are typically less painful at louder volumes. Until your heart stops and your lungs fall into your stomach. That can be painful. Careful with those tapes, kids.

dubstep is ok and not nearly as annoying as the trash they call house.

5. I though it was going to be about this stuff..

I love the Burial stuff so...I'll probably scope this.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Wildkat View Post
    [youtube]bALk1POlEKU[/x]

I though it was going to be about this stuff..
    !!!

I think that was the tape!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. I had one tape that used a Star Wars quote in one song...

"WHERE IS THE REBEL BASS?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

Detour: instead of putting this shit up as youtube videos, put them up as a muxtape and fill the 12 track slot.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

10. No prob, I'll hit that when I get home from work
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"