Page 1 of 31 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar Hero: The Thread

1. Guitar Hero: The Thread

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_bl...stnews;title;0

Quote Originally Posted by Gamespot
    Sometimes, even wafer-thin rumors hold a kernel of truth. Take today's prime cut of speculation du jour, which stems from a NeoGAF poster who claims to have obtained an advance copy of next month's Game Informer. According to the author, who didn't post any art or screens to back up his claim, the forthcoming issue is jam-packed with details about Guitar Hero IV, the next installment in Activision's billion-dollar franchise.

According to the poster, the next issue of GI allegedly confirms that, yes, Guitar Hero IV will introduce drums and vocals a la Rock Band. (Get ready, Drum Villains!) More interestingly, the game will allow players to create their own songs--sans vocals, apparently due to copyright issues--and upload them along with customizable album art to a "Guitar Hero Tunes" store from which others can download them. Regular players will have a five-song cap, whereas those who pen popular ditties will be able to upload up to 10 power ballads.

Though licensed Guitar Hero III downloads are limited to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, Guitar Hero IV song sharing will, according to the post, also be available for the PlayStation 2 and Wii editions of the game. Guitar Hero IV will also reportedly feature all master tracks, including original selections from The Eagles, Linkin Park, Sublime, and--as rumored--Van Halen.

The official story: Activision didn't respond to e-mail inquiries about the NeoGAF post. However, statements made from the highest levels of the multibillion publisher have already all but confirmed the details in the post. Speaking to Conde Nast Portfolio last month, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick explicitly confirmed that both vocals and instrumentals were coming to the Guitar Hero franchise.

As for song sharing, Activision outlined an online initiative for an unnamed title last week which sounds like it could well be song sharing for Guitar Hero. Specifically, the company said in its earnings announcement last week that "online functionality for certain key titles to be released in the December quarter of fiscal year 2009 and thereafter is expected to become a significant component of gameplay for certain platforms." Then, Activision went on to say the cost of the online functionality over six months could be as much as $350 million--hardly a small investment, even for a company with nearly $3 billion in annual revenue.

Then, in an earnings report after the call, Activision publishing president Mike Griffiths said that his company was readying something big for its billion-dollar rhythm-game franchise. "For the holiday, we'll provide a significant leap forward in innovation for Guitar Hero worldwide on all platforms including the PS3, PS2, Xbox 360, Wii, and again on the DS," he boasted.

Later, Griffith repeated his assertion that the next Guitar Hero would have a cutting-edge trick up its sleeve--a trick Activision was investing heavily in. "We've put a lot of additional development resources, a lot of additional music licenses resources, a lot of additional hardware supplier resources against the title to fuel growth over next year," he told an analyst in a conference call. "We're excited by the increased musical content and innovation we're bringing. We do expect a leap forward in innovation with our holiday launch, and we're about two weeks away from providing very specific details on that." (Emphasis added.)

Bogus or not bogus?: Uh, doesn't the new issue of Game Informer hit newsstands next week? Not bogus.
    Here's what the dude claimed in his post:

I got my issue earlier, the cover story is Guitar Hero 4.

Guitar Hero 4 (PS3, 360, Wii, PS2)

- Create a song. Although these exclude vocals due to storage and possible copyright issues.

- You'll be able to name your song as well as creating album art. After you've done all that you can upload it to GH Tunes where anyone can download it.

- You'll be limited to 5 songs at first. But depending on the ratings you get you'll possibly be able to upload 10 or more.

- The song sharing mode will be in the Wii and PS2 versions also, but GI says it's unlikely that it'll be as robust as the PS3 and 360 versions.

- Drums, bass, vocals guitar

- Create a rocker

- Create a guitar and drums

- All songs will be master tracks

- They don't want to discuss specifics on track listing out of fear of being scooped by the competition. However they confirmed 4 bands: Van Halen, The Eagles, Linkin Park and Sublime.

- A new guitar designed by Red Octane that includes a new input mechanic that'll "impact the way you play GH in the future".

- GI saw see through notes while playing that Neversoft said was the new input mechanic and that they were trying to patent.
    Could this be the long-awaited addition of "open notes"?
    Last edited by jyoung; 12 Apr 2009 at 04:54 PM.

2. Another guitar?

BUY MY PLASTIC CRAP! SUCKERS!

precious roy, precious roy, makin' lots of suckers out of girls and boys!

---

Is there a chance in hell this is going to even dent the inevitable Rock Band 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Eh, Guitar Hero still seems to be the preferred franchise amongst the "hardcore" crowd, i.e., people who don't like Rock Band because it's "too easy" and "isn't any fun unless you have people to play with."

Not that I'm one of those people; I just know a lot of people my age who are like that.

4. I'm kinda sick of music games now.

5. Really could not care less about Guitar Hero anymore. Just continue to update Rock Band, and allow me to use the current Rock Band kit with whatever they plan to release as a sequel. I don't need two ridiculous music game kits.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

6. Making your own tracks sounds cool, but if you need the new guitar to play, this game can GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

7. Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Really could not care less about Guitar Hero anymore. Just continue to update Rock Band, and allow me to use the current Rock Band kit with whatever they plan to release as a sequel. I don't need two ridiculous music game kits.
    QFMFT
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

8. Quote Originally Posted by K3V View Post
    QFMFT
    IAWTP

9. FHUTA

10. If they dont make a cross compatible drumset, both companies can fuck themselves. Also, five drums is kind of stupid- wouldnt buy unless the hi-hat position was correct, had a raised crash cymbal and the hardware wasnt a piece of shit