Page 1 of 23 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: MrWhitefolks' Gmod Screenshots

1. MrWhitefolks' Gmod Screenshots

While I've taken a step away from the pen and paper (or wacom) aspect of my works, something that has kept me enamored lately is the HL2 mod GMOD. Anyone who has perused the Gaming Discussion has seen my 'pimping' of that game to the masses here, if nothing more than for it's ability that allows the user to do damn near anything.

Personally, I've taken to doing model posing and screenshot work for various release groups - and as such I figured that I would just drop what I've been working on in here. The majority of these have ghetto-fied watermarks and sit at about 1280x768 resolution, so instead of just making this thread extremely non 56k friendly I'll post them as links.

If you dig these, that's cool - but if you don't, no worries. This isn't something I expect to take off as it's pretty freakin' niche and there are a ton of people that do this way fucking better than I do.

Click for full size

Mistress Spencer: Standard pose, using a wrestling ring style backdrop and the like. I fully intend on redoing this one at a later date, as it was one of my very first screenshot releases for Dark Matter.

Click for full size

Rebecca Chambers: Wanted to do something that kept action and horror elements, but there was a fuckton of post production involved due to the model's arm being broken (I rebuilt her entire right forearm in photoshop).

Click for full size

Princess Zelda: Went with a calm, serene type of shot as the character is all fantasy based, I thought a natural backdrop worked fairly well.

Click for full size

BD_Dragon: I had no idea what context this character should be in, as I had no point of reference at all - so I went with something simple and cliche. Girl on a computer, looking at a monitor displaying the site the actual character model itself is hosted at.

Click for full size

Bloodrayne: For this one I had to work with a character model with ZERO face posing or finger posing, and wanted to keep it sorta sexy, but her face (being non pose-able) brought about a serious side. In turn, I took the high road and didn't want to show off the more fan-servicey areas.

Click for full size

Silent Hill 3: This was a more comedic venture, and actually started out as a practice run using the Easy-Weld method of posing. Somehow it ended up working and came together pretty well - even considering that the stage itself is 2-Fort from Team Fortress 2.

Click for full size

Hatsune Miku: Since this model was done up with a pseudo-cell shaded style, it didn't work well in most HL2 maps. Luckily enough I found a really crazy day-glow neon Tokyo style map for TF2 and she fit in great.

Click for full size

Masha "3D": Some random Poser or Milkshape model that was recently dumped, and I've never been a fan of how this looks. But, I wanted to do something a little saucy with the pose - and little did I know that this model came with translucent clothing. NSFW.

Click for full size

Resident Evil 4: Ashley, Mendez, a dead Leon, and a bloody meat hook make this horror themed image up. Some post production was done to make Mendez's trenchcoat look a tad bit sharper, but almost everything here was done in game.

Click for full size

Luba: For anyone that's played through the last Leisure Suit Larry game, Luba is well known for being a drunk. So, I just tossed her on a bench and surrounded her with various bottles. It worked, stayed within the context of the character, and kept the scene light from a thematic standpoint.

Click for full size

Giant Demon "Frintessa": He's huge, he's red, he's got horns. Apparently this is from Lineage, but I've never seen it personally in game - but since he's gigantic I went the whole cliche King Kong route. Big monster holding naked broad while the city is ablaze (and yes, I know his right arm is posed wrong - it was something I just couldn't fix due to how the model was built)

Click for full size

Kairi: Simple shot of a Kingdom Hearts character (showing off subtle face/finger posing) and at the same time I got to show off a monster from the same game in the background. It was a win-win and I thought it came out pretty neat actually.

Click for full size

SH3 Demon Nurse: Wanted to once again go comedy (as so many screenshots of these characters are moody and serious already), so I took two very well known SH3 characters and threw it into an NBA Jam inspired shot (yes, she's stepping on his face).

Click for full size

Candy Cane: This shot has to be the 'fanservice' one out of the bunch, and as such it's NSFW. However, it accomplished a few things. It showed off a legitimate wrestling move (Niagra Bomb), showed off the quality of the model ports (as the porter worked on the skins a bit), and it got the itch to do a fanservice screenshot out of my system. Unfortunately, CC isn't face pose-able yet and this ONE screen has gotten me a STUPID amount of "pose requests" from various forum users in the GMod community. :P

Click for full size

Tikal and Blaze: There's no Sonic stage for GMod that I could find, so I had to settle with a Mario Kart inspired one. Both of these ragdolls are an absolute BITCH to pose, and as such the shot suffers from it (as I just wanted to get it done and out of the way). Granted, both models were beta - but I still feel as if I need to go back and redo this one at a later date.

Click for full size

Ulala: Standard shot showing off the character, with a colorful map background (same as used in the Hatsune Miku screenshot) and some post production to fix color issues (it's a really low poly model with shit textures).

Click for full size

Ulala's Downtown Report: More of a homage than anything else, I thought I could get at least one more fun shot out of Ulala's model before closing down GMod for the night...but the next thing I know 2 hours have past and now I have a shitload of props everywhere and all kinds of things going on. Add a horrible "Channel 5" type logo on the bottom and I sent it off.

Click for full size

Master Chief: All I wanted was a simple epic pose, and a specific map in HL2: Episode 1 provided me with the correct backdrop. This IS from the Halo 3 beta, and as such it looks really nice in game and I'm glad I could take advantage of the whole scene to bring about a neat screenshot.

Click for full size

Master Chief Driveby: Just a fun diversion (and a chance for me to mess around with post production photoshop tricks) screen, I threw MC into a vehicle and gave him a weapon. Tossed in some muzzle flash, sparks, bullet holes AND bullets - then added a ton of effects and filters.

Click for full size

Princess Heather (SH3): Just remembered I had this model and wanted to see how well I could pose it. Next thing I know, I built an entire backdrop, painted them, and we were ready to go. I only wish I had her wand as a prop, then that image would be 100% badass.

Click for full size
    Click for full size

Cloverfield Subway Test AND Cloverfield Subway Night Vision Test: Both of these were created the second that Cloverfield Parasite model was released as a homage to the first major reveal of these monsters. I had a hard time getting the parasites to fit in the image AND at the same time, trying to develop a night vision image was something I've never done before. Many hours were spent on these two images and I learned a LOT during the post production process.

Anyways, that's all I have for now. Unless I get really inspired or a request from a model porter, most of my GMod works are just me dicking around until something 'clicks'. However, if you feel like commenting or just flipping me shit then by all means feel free.

edit: MC's hand/gun fixed in the 'drive by' screen. The gun was free floating out past his hand and it needed a severe adjustment.
    Last edited by MrWhitefolks; 13 Jul 2008 at 06:21 PM.
    XBL Gamertag = XMrWhitefolksX

2. I don't mind that you're doing Gmod stuff to create images, infact I think it's a pretty neat way to get into working with 3D!

I do mind that the compositions are a bit rubbish. Everything is dead center with a bunch of unused space in every direction, or the focal point is pushed too far to one side or the other.

So check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

Since you're basically snapping a photo, I'd recommend digging into some photography theroy as well. It's very much a case of "learn the rules so you can break 'em".
    Last edited by YellerDog; 14 May 2008 at 10:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Cool - I'll give this beast a read.

Edit: Very intriguing in how it sets up composition to display movement or depth. I'm gonna mess around with this theory in GMod for a bit, then I'll drop some examples off in here.

Edit 2: 3 Quick tests -

Monster centered directly

Monster overlapping an intersection of the "rule of thirds"

Car on intersection, house with lights on an intersection, depth takes care of itself

I'd have to say that this process is VERY weird, and it's going to take alot of practice for me to use this at an even remotely effective level.
    Last edited by MrWhitefolks; 14 May 2008 at 01:30 PM.

4. Super cool, looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

Here's some good examples of the rule illustrated, linked off the wiki if you missed it:
    http://www.photo96.com/blog/?p=371
    Last edited by YellerDog; 14 May 2008 at 01:04 PM.

5. Yeah, that's the one I was paying attention to the most due to the actual examples he had listed.

I do think that from time to time I'll impliment this, but until I get the technique locked down I doubt that I will make it my focal point of screenshot taking(it'll be used as a 'part' of a shot instead of forcing stuff to sit on the intersecting lines). However, it's already proven itself to be a useful guideline and something that if used correctly could very well take a screenshot from being good to "HOLY WTF AWESOME" - it's just gonna take me a looooooong time to learn how to use this correctly.

6. Awesome man, glad I got ya thinking about it.

It's the kind of thing that takes a lot of practice to get a handle on, but it's something you'll start thinking about every time you pick up a camera (virtual or otherwise) once it gets in your head.

At work, we're basically doing the same thing setting up shots in animation every day, just using a Avid overlay to do it.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 14 May 2008 at 01:53 PM.

7. Yeah, I'm gonna keep it in mind when messing with stuff - but my "job" when it comes to these releases is to show off the model, so I doubt I'll be able to make the "rule of thirds" a major priority. However, I'll try to keep it working to an extent as to help give a given screenshot better composition.

8. Gonna throw up a new screen, showing off a severely work in progress hack myself and Mario_Kart64n (guy who runs Dark-Matter and ports all the game models to GMOD) have been messing with.

Click for full size

"Gothic" Heather Mason: This is an abridged hack of multiple Heather Mason SH3 pc mods, plus alot of our own work. It's mainly a combination of "Scenester Heather" and "Underwear Heather" that we found from some dubious Yahoo groups, then I put some elbow grease to whip out the custom skirt texture, custom skin tone, custom eyes, lips, waist.

Nothing special, and I sure as hell didn't do alot of the hard work - but for a beta release it looks pretty solid.
    Last edited by MrWhitefolks; 13 Jul 2008 at 06:22 PM.

9. Click for full size

Nightmare: from Soul Calibur 2 gets himself a screenshot. The model doesn't have finger posing, so that sorta sucked, but it worked out irregardless.
    Last edited by MrWhitefolks; 13 Jul 2008 at 06:22 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by MrWhitefolks View Post
    Gonna throw up a new screen, showing off a severely work in progress hack myself and Mario_Kart64n (guy who runs Dark-Matter and ports all the game models to GMOD) have been messing with.

"Gothic" Heather Mason
    This is an abridge hack of multiple Heather Mason SH3 pc mods, plus alot of our own work. It's mainly a combination of "Scenester Heather" and "Underwear Heather" that we found from some dubious Yahoo groups, then I put some elbow grease to whip out the custom skirt texture, custom skin tone, custom eyes, lips, waist.

Nothing special, and I sure as hell didn't do alot of the hard work - but for a beta release it looks pretty solid.
    She looks sad.