Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My PC Never Sleeps

My PC Never Sleeps

Been running XP for years now, and I can't exactly pinpoint when this started happening but it seems no matter what power setting I assign or what I do, my computer never, ever goes into any form of energy-saving setting. Screen savers never kick in, the monitor never goes to sleep, nothing.

It's really confusing.

Let me know if listing any specific specs will help, I'm kind of hoping there's some super easy shit I'm overlooking that someone will just know.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. it's afraid that clowns will eat it

check your bios settings, there might be something in there (maybe WOL?) that's stopping your computer from kicking in power saving stuff

edit: WOL means Wake-on-LAN by the way

3. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    it's afraid that clowns will eat it
    Bahahahaha.

I'd offer a suggestion but I got none.

4. CKA is right, that's exactly what happened to mine. As a bonus it reduced the use of my cpu by about 20%

5. There was a vista update that did the same thing like a month or two ago. It had to do with some microsoft mouse driver update that would keep it from going into sleep/idle. They finally added a patch for it and once I DL'd it the problem was solved. So maybe the same glitch happed to your xp. Do a search on microsoft's site and see if the same problem is for xp.

I checked the power options in the BIOS, there was some shit I didn't understand but all the "wake up ons" were disabled including WOL.

Recent changes do include a mobo, a new monitor and a new mouse, so I'll look into Rtificial's suggestion.
    My Backloggery

7. Did you see anything like "SleepState=S3' in tje BIOS?
    Most mobos have options to set what sleep states are allowed. Yours may be disabled.

mine is set to S1/S3
    My Backloggery

9. It should be fine then. Hmmm...
    Maybe it's a HID issue. Keyboards and mice can cause a system to wake from sleep without user input if there's a problem with their drivers or hardware. It's not that much of a stretch for the same problems to prevent entering a sleep state. That's my only guess.

10. Just turn off your monitor when you're done.