Page 1 of 11 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Fighting game controllers

Fighting game controllers

All this Street Fighter IV talk has made me want to play my old 2d fighting games again (especially SF games), a genre I have hardly played in recent years. I'm covered for Saturn stuff for games, a 4MB cart, and the standard controller which is awesome.

I'm fine playing the Saturn stuff for now but I'm probably going to want to play my DC games like SF3 and MotW eventually, too. The standard controller blows for this genre (and it extra hurts my arms as I have muscle problems) so I'm wondering what good controllers to look out for when browsing second hand stores. I often see controllers for various systems but have no idea which ones have good d-pads.

Or should I go the Sony route for SF3 since the game's cheap on PS2 anyway? I don't like the standard PS pad either but I imagine there are a wider range of controllers for these systems. I probably won't buy anything right away but any input on what to look out for would be appreciated.

2. It's a lot easier to tell you what to avoid than what to get, unfortunately. The Nubytech PS2 and Xbox SF controllers are very cheap now, but they're not very good.

As for DC, a lot of people throw around Ascii Pad FT as being good for fighters, but unless they changed something in the later versions (I have the grey one with SFA3 art on the box), I don't think it has a very good d-pad at all. However, it beats the hell out of using the standard DC controller, so it might be worth a shot.

I always disliked Sony's controllers for fighters, but I found myself getting used to them. I don't mind so much now.

3. PS2 has a cheap yet awesome joystick (Tekken 5 anniversary stick), the better version of 3rd Strike (compared to the Dreamcast), and yeah, as said, a better range of controllers if you can't do the joystick thing.

As for DC, a lot of people throw around Ascii Pad FT as being good for fighters, but unless they changed something in the later versions (I have the grey one with SFA3 art on the box), I don't think it has a very good d-pad at all. However, it beats the hell out of using the standard DC controller, so it might be worth a shot.
    This is the 6 face button thing, right? Don't get the Capcom vs. SNK edition ones. I grabbed one of those and the up direction flat out doesn't work most of the time. I'm not the only one with that problem, either.
    Last edited by Tain; 08 Dec 2007 at 11:06 PM.

I have a grey ascii pad FT for my DC that I remember really liking. I got both the capcom and snk editions of the same pad and I like the blue one (snk?) more than the black one.

I'm also selling a pelican real arcade wtf edition stick for the psx/ps2 that I modded with happ parts and then used 3 times and realized I prefer a pad.

5. i need to get a pair of fighting controllers, i wanna make sure they work on both my ps2 and ps3 though :O
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

I'm not sure how easily they are found these days, but I have a wonderful Innovation adapter that I use for the dreamcast. It allows you to use Playstation and Saturn controllers, as well as having a PS2 port for a keyboard. Depending on the situation, I've used it with PS2 Dual Shocks, a Pelican Real Arcade stick, and the good ol Saturn gamepad.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

7. Your best bet on the DC would be using a Saturn -> Dreamcast converter. Play-Asia sells the Total Control 3 for that. A Total Control 5 Plus or an Innovation Dream Connection II (I assume Gohan has this one) will also give you the option to use PS controllers as well (I hear twin sticks work better on a TC5 than a TC3 if you want to play VOOT w/ Saturn twin sticks). If you don't want to deal with converters and possible input lag, those Ascii pads are probably all you're left with for something decent.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Ri View Post
    i need to get a pair of fighting controllers, i wanna make sure they work on both my ps2 and ps3 though :O
    I hear the Pelican PS2 -> PS3 converters work well with most controllers. I just use normal dual shock pads to play fighting games on PS2 if I don't play on stick, so if those aren't your cup of tea, have fun searching for Saturn-style PS2 pads or a pair of Neo Geo Pad 2s!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mikhal View Post
    a pair of Neo Geo Pad 2s!
    Blah, I had such a shitty time looking for one the first time around that I managed to completely forget they existed.

I still want one.

9. If you're going to play stuff on the PS2 there's also the Sega controller that's basically just a Saturn pad with a PS2 connector on it.

Personally I love my Saturn pad for fighting games, I have the Saturn - DC adapter, and hell I even had one of my Saturn pads modded to work on my Neo Geo.

I need to get one of those Saturn PS2 pads myself though I believe their import only and can get a bit pricey.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

10. Sega's official Saturn-style PS2 and USB pads appear to be out of print and selling on eBay for $lol. Sucks. I have one of each and they're pretty nice, though.