Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Back into Drawing

Yeller, you asshole, when did you add those books. I hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    Do me a favor and quit being a dick.

Also, read the rest of that post you quoted.
    No, seriously, did you think I didn't know it?

Last edited by YellerDog; 05-21-2008 at 01:09 AM.

No, it's just the best advice there is, which is why everyone's said it.
    WE'RE NOT MAKING FUN OF YOU. REALLY.

It does piss me off that every book on writing I've ever read opens with "FUCKING WRITE EVERY DAY". It does get old.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. Thanks, thats all any of you had to say. That none of you really know how to help with this and don't know of any books that can.
    We could identify what kind of problems you're having really easily if you posted some artwork.

Create an original drawing that will invariably suck and then post it up here with one of your good copies. That's it.

If you aren't doing that then you're creating "good" artwork of unknown quality- there is no way to respond to this. You could be a master, or you could be like an ignorant kid who is proud of crap because he's stupid. There is no reasonable way to properly approach what you're talking about without knowing where you stand.

The same goes for your original work. You could be just fine with ego problems, or you could be someone who mistook being able to copy someone else's drawings as a reason to believe you could create similar quality work on your own which resulted in you toiling away for years never improving because you were too stupid to realize what was wrong. Which best represents you? Perhaps something in-between?It is an eternal mystery, until you post some art.

People have been nice and have formed responses based on guessing what kind of trouble you're having, and you've just snapped at them for getting it wrong. Maybe there is something in this post that you'll want to quote and argue with. If so, stop it.

You want some real advice, then put up some artwork.

5. I mean hell I just posted two pieces of art of mine. 1 is new and its a doodle. The other is old and I posted it before, but it vanished. Since I lost comcast and their wonderful server.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

old stuff

I dug through my room and didn't have much luck finding anything. I must have given my portfolios to my mother or grandmother.

I found some drafting stuff I did by hand, a mecha sonic i drew from looking at the comic and ruined trying to ink and paint it, and two quick ten second sketches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mechasonic.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	35323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drafting01.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	35324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quick1.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	35325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quick2.JPG 
Views:	278 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	35326  

new stuff

this is some concept stuff I did on a free day before finals. I really enjoyed it and its what got me thinking about picking it back up.

The figure is transposed onto reference so I wouldn't have to waste time with keeping the limbs the right praportions. The mixer truck and tractor robots are 100% orginal. The two tractor robots were drawn mostly for the locomation concept. Torso and heads for them are completely throw away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mixer.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	35327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tractors.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	35328  

8. I would suggest more of an attention to tone and shadows, and general definition. Also, your lines aren't very straight or accurate. Stick with the lead pencils and try to make a complete picture, rather than these quick, albeit fairly cool sketches. That tractor could look rad with a little TLC.

I don't think I've ever bothered with line weight or tone/shadows. Even looking at the mecha sonic picture, all my lines have the same basic width (and I screwed up the perspective of the leftside arm and the leftside leg).

I don't think I ever grew out of the fast/loose stage of sketching when it comes to something original. I wouldn't even know where to start with setting up a light source and the impact that would have on the drawing.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 21 May 2008 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arjue View Post
    Stick with the lead pencils
    that was all done in pencil