Page 1 of 16 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales of Monkey Island (Sept 19, ONE DAY ONLY free any episode)

PC Tales of Monkey Island (Sept 19, ONE DAY ONLY free any episode)

Not to pull a supergrafxengine or anything, but I think this news really deserves its own thread.

Telltale Games is doing an episodic Monkey Island series (on PC and WiiWare) in addition to a special edition version of the original for XBLA and PC. David Grossman is heading up both projects. Check his credits on Mobygames - the series is definitely in good hands. Ron Gilbert seems pleased with the new games, too.

This is fantastic news, though I'm not quite happy with the 3D art style. I can't help but wish for 2D hand-drawn art like Curse of Monkey Island or, failing that, some sort of cel-shaded art. But ehh, that minor quibble doesn't dampen my excitement too much.

2. The art style is almost worse than Escape From Monkey Island.

I should be ridiculously excited for this but I've yet to play a single great Telltale game. The writing and acting has always been behind the Lucasarts classics. ..and I'm not sure that episodic gaming is good for any genre, let alone adventure.

So: kind of excited?
    Last edited by epmode; 01 Jun 2009 at 08:11 PM.

Ugly art but they have some talented people working on it at least. I have been meaning to play some of the old Monkey Island games again.

And when I first saw the thread title I jokingly thought: this better not be another Namco RPG.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 01 Jun 2009 at 08:56 PM.

4. FUCK YES I JUST SAW THIS.

TellTale Games makes some of the ugliest 3D art this side of the guys that made Barnyard, but DAMN do they make some fun Clickventure Stories®.

5. The art for the MI remake for PC and XBLA offends me a lot more than the new game. They should have just had Steve Purcell paint everything and everyone.

6. I want another game that looks like Curse of Monkey Island.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

I should know this by now, but Telltale's art style looks considerably better in motion. Here's the new trailer: http://www.shackvideo.com/?id=14485

I now agree with Grave. The new style of Monkey Island: Special Edition, despite being 2D, really doesn't mesh with the way the original looked.

8. I had a long meeting with Telltale today and I think this seems very promising for what that's worth. More deets to follow on the main page.

9. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    I want another game that looks like Curse of Monkey Island.
    That's unfortunate. Curse had godawful animation.

10. Because animation = art style

The spritework was much better than the animated cutscenes too.