Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 81011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Chip Tunes

1. I'm about 22 minutes in and I'm loving it. Hearing what I'm assuming to be BSK inspired stylings. If not, I appologize. Looking forward to going home and giving it a proper listen with some headphones.
    http://www.xboxgamertag.com/gamercard/NGE42/fullnxe/card.png

2. Glad you enjoy. What is BSK?

3. Well, I think I have slightly different taste in chiptunes than many of the folks here, but I'm going to do what I do, because who knows, it may be a matter of exposure.

I wanted to give this old thread a little bump. If people still enjoy listening to this stuff maybe I'll keep posting things from new artists every so often. I don't know.

Anyway, this is Strobe (a.k.a. StrobeFlux, StrobeFluxian) of the demoscene group Titan. He is, in my opinion, one of the most (if not the most) talented contemporary (active last 15 years) chip artists out there. Honestly, the guy is a musical and technical genius and some of his work is borderline savant level, but the style definitely isn't going to be for everyone. He's also a programmer and his music reflects it. His sound is very spacey, often glitchy, fast, and chaotic, but everything is meticulously ordered and composed behind the scenes. He takes a 'hack'-y approach to many tracks, which is, of course, classically characteristic of the demoscene in general. A lot of it is a matter of, "Look what I can make this do" for the sake of his peers and those who are familiar with the technology/process.

Here's a random handful of some of my faves of his, and I've tried to steer clear of some of his nuttier stuff:

Icing on the cake, some of his songs that contain tracker pattern animations -- mind blowing (but you usually have to get halfway in or so first):

And just for lols:

Sorry, I know that was a lot of videos. I wish I could've embedded them side-by-side just to save everyone's scroll wheels. I haven't uploaded to my chiptune YouTube channel in a couple years so it's a bit behind, but if anyone likes this stuff I've got 85 of his tunes on a playlist at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...99BAE8A2DACF96

4. When I was recovering from surgery a while ago I was making noise stuff on my iPad with chip tunes apps. It was fun.
    Boo, Hiss.

5. Nice post Koda! Have you heard of Diode Milliampere ? He does some crazy coding music also. Lately I've been messing with the Gameboy soundchip and doing various experiments in track making with it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial View Post
    Nice post Koda! Have you heard of Diode Milliampere ? He does some crazy coding music also. Lately I've been messing with the Gameboy soundchip and doing various experiments in track making with it.
    I haven't heard of him, no. I'll hit Google and take a listen, though.

Edit: Yeah, his stuff seems cool. I like what I've found so far. I really, really dig OPL2/OPL3 tunes in general though.
    Last edited by koda; 27 Sep 2015 at 04:08 AM.

I love making this kind of music, but I can't stand listening to it outside of this one particular Emotional Joystick album. I wish these dudes had a little more restraint, but I know that's not what this scene is about.

Just thought of this, did the guy who did I, Cactus do anything else like that? I know he was in some other band/group/program/whateveryoucallthis but I don't dig it. I, Cactus has some great sounds. I am also borderline obsessed with Secret Frequency Crew, but I don't think this is the proper thread for that.

8. Yea here is a nice interview of diode about his MS-Dos style. https://thump.vice.com/en_us/article...-dos-interview His sound cloud page has some nice stuff too.