Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Chip Tunes

1. i'm enjoying this a lot!
    Donk

2. Hahah, wtf. This is great.

3. Merry Christmas. =)

Do any of you cats make chiptunes? I'd like to dick around with the idea (except using real drum samples because chip drums suck) so I was wondering if anyone could get me started? I've played around with it a few times, but I have a hard time making any 8 bit sounds in Ableton. I met a kid in college who did this shit with a tracker, but that just seems really fucking tedious. Like I said, I'd like to take the idea of chip tunes but touch it up with some good samples and progress the idea... You know, like every other person on earth who puts nintendo sounds in their songs
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

5. Check out this rad 8-bit/16-bit sound effect generator. Really easy to use and goof around with:

http://www.cyd.liu.se/~tompe573/hp/project_sfxr.html

6. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Do any of you cats make chiptunes? I'd like to dick around with the idea (except using real drum samples because chip drums suck) so I was wondering if anyone could get me started? I've played around with it a few times, but I have a hard time making any 8 bit sounds in Ableton. I met a kid in college who did this shit with a tracker, but that just seems really fucking tedious. Like I said, I'd like to take the idea of chip tunes but touch it up with some good samples and progress the idea... You know, like every other person on earth who puts nintendo sounds in their songs
    Thats actually what I'm doing now. I do these sorta weird, IDM glitched chiphop tunes. I may get back into messing with the chipbreak sound. But for now I'm having fun doing my own thing and experimenting.

Here are some tracks I'm almost finished with.

rtificial - parties are all fun and games till someone gets a broken heart

rtificial - click to my hop and I'll sync to your bloop

I use my own custom drum racks and maybe a sample here and there. But I mainly use tweeked game sounds/samples.

7. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    A tracker is the way to do it, man. Milkytracker is amazing and free. You can draw your own samples, use the wave generator, or import samples. It's a piece of cake to draw some chippy ones and then import the drums.
    There's still a lot to learn, such as all of the effect codes, but it just comes with time and practice. All the samples you want to import will sound great, and if you ever decide you want to make a legit chiptune you can just switch over to Amiga frequencies and keep it to four channels.

You can arrange the patterns however you'd like, copy and paste patterns, etc. I don't think it's tedious at all.

You can use Famitracker if you want those classic NES noises really quickly and easily, but the 2A03 is really overplayed lately, IMO. If you really don't want to compose in a tracker, you can still use Famitracker to generate the NES chipsounds you want -- record and crop them in Audacity, save as a wav, and then import those into whatever you use to make music.
    Last edited by koda; 26 Dec 2008 at 09:17 PM.

8. Just found out about this shit.

It's awesome.

Mega Man X chip tunes
    + winamp plugin = rawk.

9. I've been listening to Crystal Castles and enjoying their album. Are there any other bands similar to Crystal Castles I can download? I realize there is a lot of stuff mentioned in this thread, but that's just it, there's a lot. I found Crystal Castles on iTunes, anymore I can find there?
    -Mullet Jockey-
    Check out my site!
    Eat. Sleep. Music.