Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runaways

1. Runaways

From IESB:
    Marvel Studios Has Runaways to Deal With PDF Print E-mail
    Written by IESB Staff
    Thursday, 22 May 2008

The critically acclaimed and Harvey Award winning Marvel comic book Runaways has a date with the big screen.

Runaways is a Marvel Comics comic book series created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona. Vaughan is adapting the property and Kevin Feige will produce the film.

The comic book series features a group of teenagers who try to make up for the evil done by their super villain parents by becoming superheroes. They are known as "the Pride's kids" or "those kids in L.A." by other characters in the Marvel Universe, due to the team's lack of an official name and the majority of Marvel's characters being based in New York.

Marvel Studios has not set any dates for release of this film, it is expected that any production would be post 2011.

Brian K. Vaughan is also the creator of fan favorite Y: The Last Man that was published in 60 issues by Vertigo and collected in a series of 10 paperback volumes. D.J. Caruso is currently attached to the direct the big screen adaptation of Y and Shia Lebeouf has been the leading contender to play Yorick Brown.
    Hmm... I love the book, and the fact that Marvel's producing it in-house and letting Vaughan write it assures me that it won't be mistreated, but then there's the always-thorny kid actor issue. Here's hoping they're very careful in casting and choosing a director.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. I wanna know who's directing it.

But Runaways is an awesome comic.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

3. Since, Timber and DT are SOOOO confused with The Runaways (punk band) and Runaways (Marvel Comic).

Here's more news on THIS film.

As of May 2008, a film version of the comic is in the scripting state, with Brian K. Vaughan writing and Kevin Feige, Marvel Studios President of Production, producing. Feige has said "In our discussions with Brian, we wanted him to be the person to bring it to life. I think it won't be a precise story line of any [of his comics], but certainly it will be most similar to the tone or origins of his structure in its initial run". A 2011 release is tentative, and Fiege expects a finished script early 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTV Movie Blog
    They are the masterminds who brought you "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk." They are working on films for characters like Thor, Captain America and Dr. Strange, not to mention their tag team "The Avengers."

But ask Marvel Studios President of Production Kevin Feige what film he's most excited about, and the answer isn't a single adult superhero — it's a teen one. More accurately, a group of teen heroes. "Runaways" — which is currently being scripted by comic writer Brian K. Vaughan — is tentatively scheduled to be among the studio's many post-"Avengers" projects.

"I love the idea. Brian brought to Marvel one of the best new concepts that we've had in quite some time," Feige said of the film, for which he expects a finished script in early 2009. "It's very different than anything we've done before."

"Runaways" follows a group of kids who come to discover that their parents are up to no good — as in, a take-over-the-world kind of "no good."

OK, sure, not everybody's parents are supervillains, Feige laughed, but didn't everybody at some point think their parents were?

"I love the idea of kids banding together, discovering this thing, which I think all kids secretly wonder at one time or another whether their parents are good or evil. Well, these guys find out, unfortunately, that their parents happen to be supervillains," Feige said of the flick's setup. "I loved, when I was a kid, movies like 'Goonies' and 'Explorers' — and a non-genre example of that is 'Stand by Me' — the idea that when I came home from school, I could go on an adventure anywhere."

With the comic now in its fifth year and on its third major writer (including Vaughan, "Buffy" creator Joss Whedon and current writer Terry Moore), "Runaways," the film, will more or less follow Vaughan's creation arc, Feige said.

"In our discussions with Brian, we wanted him to be the person to bring it to life. I think it won't be a precise story line of any [of his comics], but certainly it will be most similar to the tone or origins of his structure in its initial run," Feige explained.

What it may or may not follow is the recent Marvel convention of cross-pollination, which is the buzzword of the summer thanks to cameos like Nick Fury's in "Iron Man" and Tony Stark's in "The Incredible Hulk." In the "Runaways" comic, several prominent heroes make brief appearances, but Feige thinks it's unlikely for the film version.

"If it fits a dramatic moment that we want to get across in the film, we would be able to do that — but I wouldn't want to rely on having Iron Man come in and wave every five minutes so we can put that in the commercial and sell more," Feige said. "I really want to build movies to stand on their own, and there's no reason that 'Runaways' — with the right script and the right cast — couldn't fit that on its own."
    Last edited by Advocate; 21 Dec 2009 at 01:36 PM.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

4. I didn't like the comic. It ran a weird line between too-obscure/Marvel-geeky and not-geeky-enough. "Livewires" was similar but got it just right.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 21 Dec 2009 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. you're a weird line between too-obscure/Marvel-geeky and not-geeky-enough!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    That isn't a robot. That's the world's largest 8 year old.

6. It had been so longs since we heard anything about this, I thought maybe it had been dropped. But no - the "Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist" guy is directing.

7. I have a quick question that doesn't really have anything to do with the movie but more with the comic. I just figured I might as well post here: What's the deal with Wolverine saying there are only 198 mutants left? What happened to all the mutants?
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Look, Yes. I have banged hundreds of broads...internationally. But know this, I wrap my rascal 2 times. 'Cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation, as a way of punishing super-models.

8. Too long to explain here, read wiki about M-Day/Decimation.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. Ah gotcha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Look, Yes. I have banged hundreds of broads...internationally. But know this, I wrap my rascal 2 times. 'Cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation, as a way of punishing super-models.

10. Huh, I thought Vaughan was writing it himself. Anybody seen No Heroics? Is it any good?