Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Games that couldn't live up to the hype...

zidane747 Guest

Games that couldn't live up to the hype...

You know, when companies hype their games up to be "the next big thing in gaming", when all of a sudden it's released and it's not that good? Name some of those games.

WARNING: If anyone mentions MGS2, I WILL KILL. That is all.

The Bouncer...

3. The Bouncer
    WCW Nitro
    Soul Reaver

4. Re: Games that couldn't live up to the hype...

Originally posted by zidane747
    You know, when companies hype their games up to be "the next big thing in gaming", when all of a sudden it's released and it's not that good? Name some of those games.

WARNING: If anyone mentions MGS2, I WILL KILL. That is all.
    I have to admit, NO GAMES have ever lived up to their hype for me.

That's not to say that no game is extremely well-done, and an excellent purchase. But the "Highest-of-the-high" games that are hyped up to no end (FF games; MGS; most Nintendo franchises; even one of my favorites, Shenmue) can never live up to the expectations set by the hype-meisters. Most of these games just turn out to be great to AAA games, not "The game to change the Game Industry" like they are so often called. Sometimes the hype gets to the point where the game just can't satisfy it, no matter how good it might be, and then some people will go on and say that it sucks.

Now, I try not to let the hype get the best of me. I just look for the games that interest me and leave it at that.

And one more thing. Most of the time, it's the Gaming Media, (i.e. game magazines and internet sites) that hype up the games, not so much the Game makers themselves.

Play on Playaz....

miko Guest
    State Of Emergency

6. MGS 2
    Shenmue
    Virtua Fighter(all)
    Halo- great? yes. Greatest thing since sliced bread? give me a break.

And I hate to judge before I play but I think Metroid Prime will fall into this catagory too. I will check it out though just because it's Metroid and I will be willing to eat my words if I'm wrong.

7. While I don't think they where bad games (I liked them), they certainly had higher expectations:

The Bouncer
    Stretch Panic
    Hoshigami
    Shenmue

8. FF VII
    Shen mue
    Gran Tourismo3
    Luigi's Mansion

MSG2
    Hoshigami
    Beyond the Beyond
    DW7

10. Can't believe I forgot State of Emergency...