Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista -> XP, problems?

1. Vista -> XP, problems?

My neighbor's laptop came with Vista, he hates it (and so do I). Is there any problem installing XP over this shit?

2. you never install one OS "over" another. reformat and do it the right way.

3. I recall when I install XP over 98, I was given the choice to reformat and install. I don't know if it would be a problem with Vista.

4. normally it's a PITA to get an older OS to even want to install over a newer one (usually barking "the version you have is newer, blah blah"). just boot from the XP disc, format and install. as long as you're formatting you'll be fine.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    My neighbor's laptop came with Vista, he hates it (and so do I). Is there any problem installing XP over this shit?
    I'm going to jump out on a limb and say that your friend bought a cheap and low end laptop. That being said:

Does the motherboard support XP?

A lot of new motherboards for laptops never had XP drivers made for them, there's a pretty high chance that installing XP will leave you with no keyboard, touchpad and USB support. Which obviously gives you a worthless shell.

Make sure that specific laptop supports the OS before you do anything stupid. That or read up on any of the SP3 XP vs SP1 Vista reviews that show how Vista is now the faster OS.
    Last edited by Opaque; 29 May 2008 at 12:45 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I'm going to jump out on a limb and say that your friend bought a cheap and low end laptop. That being said:

A lot of new motherboards for laptops never had XP drivers made for them, there's a pretty high chance that installing XP will leave you with no keyboard, touchpad and USB support. Which obviously gives you a worthless shell.

Make sure that specific laptop supports the OS before you do anything stupid. That or read up on any of the SP3 XP vs SP1 Vista reviews that show how Vista is now the faster OS.

You could be right, the laptop is an ASUS, and it is HUGE. I don't understand why it is so slow in Vista. It literally takes me 1 minute to load just the Control Panel. He didn't install any useless crap, so I know it is not him. And it was doing some funky things where it couldn't read a folder in a CD. Just strange all around.

7. Tell him to add more memory and turn off the gay visual tweaks Vista has.

Also what I always do when I get a new computer is take off all the programs the MFG put on in the first place, that usually speeds things up quite a bit. Either that or a fresh install of Vista if he has the dvd for it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post

Holy fucking Christ, what happened to you? At what point do you stop and make an assessment of your life as the fucking operating system defense force?

You're in a bad place when Dyne seems more reasonable and normal than you on a subject.

Tommy Tallarico

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

9. I'm not the defense force, I just get really annoyed when people that don't use the OS start talking about how they "hate" it. Especially because I get people saying that same dumb shit ten times a day.

I don't hate anything I know nothing about, why can't others be as logical?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I'm not the defense force, I just get really annoyed when people that don't use the OS start talking about how they "hate" it. Especially because I get people saying that same dumb shit ten times a day.

I don't hate anything I know nothing about, why can't others be as logical?
    You lectured about how his computer must be a slow piece of shit and that Vista is faster than XP when no one had said a single thing about speed.

Assuming others don't know about a subject when they have an unfavorable opinion of it is the worst and most intolerable of all the typical Internet discussion logical fallacies. One doesn't need to be a scholar or even hold a minor interest in something to know that they dislike it. It's easy to judge others and discredit them when you insist they're put through a competency test before they're allowed their opinion while no one requires that same competency from you.

The problem here is that you're not actually offering help on what the poster wants, you're trying to proposition and coerce him into the Vista fold. This especially sucks when you're discussing an aspect of that product that was never even brought into play. That's when you go beyond a simple defense of a product and disproving FUD and move into being a batshit insane fanboy.

Tommy Tallarico
    Last edited by Tommy Tallarico; 31 May 2008 at 10:01 PM.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico