Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sweet Smell of Success - TNL Movie Club Season 2

1. Quote Originally Posted by D_N_G View Post

there were some really odd undertones dealing with love, emotion, and the lack thereof. especially between jj and his sister. seemed like his holding on to her was more than just brotherly protection.
    Yeah, there were some not too subtle incestuous feelings on display that were pretty disturbing.

Also, that poor cigarette girl. I don't remember ever feeling bad for a dumb blonde in a movie like that.

Glad you enjoyed it!
    Last edited by Scourge; 25 Jun 2008 at 12:17 AM.

2. The way Sidney just gave that cigarette girl away to the other columnist was a perfect example of selling you out for a quick buck.

Its funny he(Sidney) feels bad for what he did at the end, but even when confronted he goes back to what he always was .... a rat.

And Huntsinger lost exactly what he was trying to keep.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

3. Hunsecker was a megalomaniac who didn't understand how precariously the scales were balanced until his controlling nature was yanked out from under him. He might have had the clout and ability to use it, but he was never in control as much as he thought he was, because he had it weighted way too much on that one person because of his neurosis. Too many eggs in one basket. Falco felt bad because he wanted to be Hunsecker until he realized how truly demented he was. After that, he probably went looking for someone else to want to be.
    Last edited by Scourge; 25 Jun 2008 at 12:33 AM.

4. Well not anymore. He's in jail now and beaten up.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

5. For those who may be interested, this is on Turner Classic Movies tonight at 9:15 CMT.
    Last edited by Scourge; 13 Sep 2008 at 11:14 PM.

6. my net connection is too unstable for the download, however I got the DVD off amazon and it arrived earlier this week. I'll try and catch it this weekend.