Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tokyopop: Bad news for comic bookers?

1. Last edited by Bacon McShig; 30 May 2008 at 10:40 AM.

2. Why is that guy bitching about RSOM? It's a contest, if you win you get money, you get some exposure, and some of the winners have actually gone on to get jobs in the field. I don't see the problem.

I wouldn't compare it to American Idol because the artists/writers that submit stories seem to get a lot of leeway to do things their way, as opposed to the mindless puppets that Idol molds its contestants into. Josh Lesnick sounds like a bitter douchebag to me.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. You sound like you like defending screwed-up situations.

New creators can be given a chance without being stripped of every right they have, trust me. This wouldn't be an issue singling out one publisher if it didn't.
    I wouldn't compare it to American Idol because the artists/writers that submit stories seem to get a lot of leeway to do things their way
    How does that make it better? When Idol contestants make it, their success is owed to the songs that were invariably written by someone else, the people that dressed them, etc... The distribution of wealth is justified because that person wouldn't be on stage without the puppetmasters behind them. Comic creators are almost entirely self-sufficient as far as the actual content of their work goes, that's their own characters and ideas that are being put on the line.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 30 May 2008 at 01:32 PM.

4. I'm not saying that the situation doesn't have its many drawbacks, but it's pretty much the same all over. The rules are laid bare before you enter RSOM, and the artists and writers makes their choice.

Actually, the whole comic landscape is getting depressing. The people making their living doing it deserve more. I'll be the first to admit that churning out x amount of pages under tight deadlines is rough.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    I'm not saying that the situation doesn't have its many drawbacks, but it's pretty much the same all over.
    Lesnick and O'Malley are both published auteurs of original content. Obviously they have experience to the contrary if they're making an issue of it.

6. I think it's also a matter of the 'contestants' - think about it. Anyone with enough serious interest and savvy for comics would know to avoid things like this. Losing all creator rights is something not worth giving up unless you really don't care much for the idea to begin with. Or if you're looking to get an in to the industry as an artist/writer/whatever, not as an originator of original content.

The way I see it is that if you feel you're getting screwed by a comic publisher, you just may deserve it. Or if someone else thinks you're getting screwed but you're happy with the arrangement, then who cares what other people think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Josh Lesnick sounds like a bitter...
    Yes.

...douchebag to me.
    No.

Lesnick may go into a fit every now and then, but he's been in the comic business longer than most internetters. He's every right to be bitter.

That Dominic Deegan guy, though...

8. Josh Lesnick knows what's going on. He's the man's man. The best thing of all is remembering his kind of shitty angular days in the 90's and seeing how much awesomer he is now.
    Donk

9. Yep. He went from Spumco to Animu to ridiculous awesome style.