Page 1 of 44 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 NHL Offseason/Free Agency thread

1. 2008 NHL Offseason/Free Agency thread

The 07-08 NHL season is almost over, potentially tonight if the Red Wings win at home, but the offseason is sneaking up so it's time for a sparkling new thread for discussion to come. Especially with the big day July 1st coming up, the start of free agency, in less than a month.

Big news today is that the Toronto Maple Leafs have, by all accounts, offered the head coaching job to former San Jose Sharks' coach Ron Wilson. And that, this essentially ensures that current Anaheim Ducks' Pres/GM Brian Burke will come to the Leafs - potentially as soon as after the 08 Draft, but definitely by next summer when his contract with the Ducks are up.

I really like the additions of both. Beyond just his coaching ability, which speaks for itself, Wilson can give the team a great kick in the ass it could use. And of course getting a top-notch guy to helm the franchise in Burke would be great, when/if it happens.

2. Is Bettman a free agent? I hope no one signs him.

3. Why the hell did San Jose fire him!?
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

4. They needed a new voice, and he wasn't taking them deep in the playoffs enough.

5. Ya theres the way to go, get a guy whose team of talented players constantly choked and failed to win the stanley cup. I'm sure he will know how to get the team motivated enough to end that drought.

6. It's not like the guy can coach up a team and develop young players. Oh wait, he can. Maybe he'll serve some use after all, considering the Leafs won't be contending for the cup in the immediate future.

If you want to blame Wilson for Joe Thorton not being a playoff performer and not having a winger, rock your socks off.

7. so VS is done then or this is just another channel picking up games?

8. That's for Canada, I don't think it will affect the Versus deal for the States.

I kind of want to see the NHL back on ESPN. Although ESPN is a piece of crap nowadays, at least it's a more viewable/available piece of crap for the sport to be on. The Versus crew haven't been all that bad though.

Edit: Thx Error.
    Last edited by Geo; 03 Jun 2008 at 12:20 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    That's for Canada, I don't think it will affect the Versus deal for North America.
    You've been out of Canada too long man. Their education system is starting to get to you.