Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a portable MP3 player

1. Recommend a portable MP3 player

Planning to get one for my Mother-in-law for use in jogging and bicycling.

Two criteria:

-Something simple, doesn't need to be a diverse multi-media player just MP3s.

-reasonably priced, not interested in buying the name and hell, maybe she won't even use it. *-neo

2. The Sansa Clip fits your criteria pretty well.

3. Not bad, there's a pink sports model that seems reasonably priced. *-neo

4. I would suggest the SONY Walkman NW-E005. I got 2 of them free from the MyCokeRewards program (One for me, one for the lady) and I really have no complaints so far, well I do, but SonicStage blows monkey balls on my computer, so its probably just my gripe.

They come in 1 and 2 Gig models from what I've seen, so if she's going to be running or biking with it, they're great. Mine charges via USB (Looks like a flash drive with buttons) for 30-45 mins while I'm uploading music or surfing the net, or anything for that matter, and I can go 3-4 days with moderate playtime before recharging.

EDIT: Found one on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NW-E005-F.../dp/B000GIPHNQ
    Last edited by NGEFreek; 03 Jun 2008 at 01:11 PM.
    http://www.xboxgamertag.com/gamercard/NGE42/fullnxe/card.png

5. I'll second the Sansa Clip. Great size, great price, great sound quality. It does more than your mom will probably care for (FM radio, FM recording, voice recording, custom equalizer) and it does organize by ID3 tags, so if your mom's MP3s aren't properly labeled they may be tough to navigate. But if her collection isn't a junkyard, the Clip is awesome. It'll stay clipped to a t-shirt or sweatshirt it's so light.

Also, iPod Shuffle isn't a bad choice for simplicity. My girlfriend's mom has one and she's not real good with computers but has no problem updating it and using it. It'll cost more than a Clip and has fewer features, but that may be irrelevant to some for whom simplicity is good.

6. Ipod shuffle if you wanna be painfully consumerist and have it work on a mac with itunes. Otherwise the Zen stone is pretty much the same thing but better.

I just ordered myself a 2 GB Sansa Clip to use instead of my Minidisc (lol) player. Its main purchasing points for me were the price ($50 shipped from amazon), screen, and size. I don't need a whole lot of storage, and since its cheap, I won't get too pissed if I lose it or scratch it up. It supposedly has good sound quality, too; I like to put my Grado SR-60's to good work.

Got it in yesterday. The UI is really easy to navigate, it's easy to sync with WMP, and it looks a lot better in person than the picture on amazon suggested. A good buy imo. Sound quality is very good, too.

9. Rock on, another Sansa Clip convert.

I just wish I had more reasons to use mine. I hurt myself every time I try to go jogging, which is what I originally got my Clip for.