Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Cult of the Amateur"

1. "The Cult of the Amateur"

If we are all amateurs, there are no experts.

Andrew Keen’s new book, The Cult of the Amateur is the latest addition to the Newsnight book club. In it, the author expresses his concern for the profligacy of online amateurism, spawned by the digital revolution. This, he feels, has had a destructive impact on our culture, economy and values.

He says, “[They] can use their networked computers to publish everything from uninformed political commentary, to unseemly home videos, to embarrassingly amateurish music, to unreadable poems, reviews, essays, and novels”.

He complains that blogs are “collectively corrupting and confusing popular opinion about everything from politics, to commerce, to arts and culture”.

He claims that Wikipedia perpetuates a cycle of misinformation and ignorance, and labels YouTube inane and absurd, “showing poor fools dancing, singing, eating, washing, shopping, driving, cleaning, sleeping, or just staring at their computers.”

He warns that old media is facing extinction – “say goodbye to experts and cultural gatekeepers – our reporters, news anchors, editors, music companies, and Hollywood movie studios.”
    At the 2005 TED Conference, Kevin Kelly told the Silicon Valley crowd that we have a moral obligation to develop technology. “Imagine Mozart before the technology of the piano,” he said. “Imagine Van Gogh before the technology of affordable oil paints. Imagine Hitchcock before the technology of film.”

But technology doesn’t create human genius. It merely provides new tools for self-expression. And if the democratized chaos of user-generated Web 2.0 content ends up replacing mainstream media, then there may not be a way for the Mozarts, Van Goghs, and Hitchcocks of the future to effectively distribute or sell their creative work.

Instead of developing technology, I believe that our real moral responsibility is to protect mainstream media against the cult of the amateur. We need to reform

rather than revolutionize an information and entertainment economy that, over the last two hundred years, has reinforced American values and made our culture the envy of the world. Once dismantled, I fear that this professional media—with its rich ecosystem of writers, editors, agents, talent scouts, journalists, publishers, musicians, reporters, and actors—can never again be put back together. We destroy it at our peril.

So let’s not go down in history as that infamous generation who, intoxicated by the ideal of democratization, killed professional mainstream media. Let’s not be remembered for replacing movies, music, and books with YOU! Instead, let’s use technology in a way that encourages innovation, open communication, and progress, while simultaneously preserving professional standards of truth, decency, and creativity. That’s our moral obligation. It’s our debt to both the past and the future.
    There is also an excerpt from the first chapter of the book, posted with the news story.

I'd say that music and news are definitely feeling the affects of "amateurs" more than any other industry.

The film industry, however, seems unaffected, as they have a much tighter control over what gets seen (in theaters), and amateurs also face a lot more difficulties based on not having enough money/resources/man-power to compete with the big-screen films.

Music, on the other hand, is (relatively) cheap to make, and it's very easy to make a "professional" sounding recording with a weekend of time and a couple hundred dollars spent. Add in all the different venues for upping music online, and you get a scene that is ridiculously overcrowded, with no quality control whatsoever.
    Last edited by jyoung; 05 Jun 2008 at 01:07 AM.

2. I don't see it as a problem. Good stuff will still rises to the top. Sure there are tons of crap out there but you just got to weed things out. There is always a good and bad side to any technological advance and I am sure we as a culture will yield more benefit than harm from digital revolution.

3. anyone arguing the music scene is worse off today than it was before is dead wrong, and frankly, plain wacko. Good bands no longer have to worry about not getting heard because a few execs don't like them. We are more free to find the Mozarts that are out there than we ever were.

4. This is bullshit from start to finish.
    Boo, Hiss.

5. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    This is bullshit from start to finish.

6. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    anyone arguing the music scene is worse off today than it was before is dead wrong, and frankly, plain wacko. Good bands no longer have to worry about not getting heard because a few execs don't like them. We are more free to find the Mozarts that are out there than we ever were.
    Where are those Mozarts, then?

I can't speak for other forms of music, but the quality of metal music has been falling to ridiculous lows since 1996, which is about the same time that the Internet starting becoming a part of mainstream culture.

I can list dozens of "Mozarts" from 1984-1996; I can't even name a handful from 1996-2008.

Quality control plays a large role in that disparity. Bands back then had to work harder to get heard/get signed, which means that the quality of music from those bands who did get heard/signed was greater.

7. Bullshit. I've heard more great music in the last few years than ever.

The only people this doesn't benefit are people stuck in their ways of doing things who are unwilling to adapt, and people who want everything fed to them.

This is elitism of the most vile order.
    Boo, Hiss.

8. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    This is bullshit from start to finish.

9. Quote Originally Posted by wEEman33 View Post
    Where are those Mozarts, then?

I can't speak for other forms of music, but the quality of metal music has been falling to ridiculous lows since 1996, which is about the same time that the Internet starting becoming a part of mainstream culture.

I can list dozens of "Mozarts" from 1984-1996; I can't even name a handful from 1996-2008.

Quality control plays a large role in that disparity. Bands back then had to work harder to get heard/get signed, which means that the quality of music from those bands who did get heard/signed was greater.
    Styles rise and fall. That has nothing to do with the talent of the people creating music today vs 10-20 years ago. The Mozarts just aren't making shitty metal

Quote Originally Posted by Mykozo View Post
    16 years old.
    mmm