Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: International Day of Slayer

1. International Day of Slayer

http://www.nationaldayofslayer.org/

Following on the heels of the past two year's success, today marks the third annual National Day of Slayer:

Quote Originally Posted by The Journal News has issued the following report from Gary Stern

SLAYER Fans Decimate New York Catholic Seminary
    2006-06-08 13:48:20

Word that the date 6/6/06 had nothing to do with any satanic prophesies apparently did not reach the vandal or vandals who spray-painted pentagrams, upside-down crosses and other devilish messages outside St. Joseph's Seminary early yesterday.

Workers who showed up at the historic Catholic seminary about 7 AM were stunned to see the crosses spray-painted in black on two columns in front of the main entrance. When they moved closer, they saw 6s on each of three steps leading up to the landing, where the words "Reign In Blood" were painted in thick, black lines. "Reign In Blood" is the name of the 1986 album by the band SLAYER, whose "National Day of Slayer" was Tuesday.

And right in front of the doors, at just about the spot where Pope John Paul II stood and waved to adoring crowds on Oct. 6, 1995, was painted a large pentagram, often associated in pop culture with the devil.

"I think anyone who promotes the prince of darkness is very misled, very ignorant, very wrong," said Monsignor Peter Finn, the seminary's rector. "I feel sad, sad and disappointed."

The vandalism took place in the wee hours, just after the close of June 6, which was widely marketed as 666, a number associated with the devil. A remake of "The Omen" was released Tuesday, its marketing campaign tied to the date. And several books and concerts with satanic themes were released and held.

The effect of the vandalism on a rainy, gray morning was chilling, as it did not appear to be rushed or haphazardly done. The perpetrator, in fact, left a literate message on the inside of the two columns for seminary faculty members to see when they exited the main doors. On the left column, the graffiti said, "Better To Reign In Hell". And on the right, "Than To Serve In Heaven".

The famous line comes from Book I of John Milton's epic poem, Paradise Lost, in which Satan plots the fall of man.

"This was planned," said Bob Scully, the building manager, who has worked at the seminary for 38 years. "The wording. The spelling. Young kids wouldn't do it. Everything is very centered, thought out."

A statue of Jesus on the front grounds also was defaced. Pentagrams were painted on both sides of the base and an upside-down cross was painted on the base's front, over a dedication to Archbishop Michael Corrigan, the third archbishop of New York and the seminary's founder.

The New Testament's Book of Revelation describes 666 as the mark of the beast — the devil. But there seemed to be little support, outside of the business world, for tying biblical prophecy to June 6. In general, biblical scholars agreed with fundamentalist Christians who read the book as a literal description of an impending apocalypse that the date was not particularly meaningful.

"I believe Revelation, but the mark of the beast has to do with identifying the Antichrist, not a date," said Mark Hitchcock, who has written 14 books about "end times" Bible prophesy.

Yonkers Mayor Phil Amicone said officials were aware the incident could have been a prank connected to June 6 but added that police were treating the case as a possible bias incident.

"We have no way of knowing, so we're taking this very seriously, as seriously as we would treat any kind of desecration to any religious institution," Amicone said. "We're leaving no stone unturned. People who do these kinds of things tend to do other stupid things and leave some kind of clue behind that will help lead police to their identity."

Amicone added that anyone who might have seen suspicious activity in the area should call the Yonkers Police Department.

This is a quiet time of the year at St. Joseph's; the academic year ended last month, and seminarians who are training for the priesthood are scattered at parishes across the Archdiocese of New York. The seminary usually has a security guard on duty inside until about 1 AM, but the grounds are very quiet at night.

The vandalism occurred between 3 and 7 AM, police and the seminary said. Police were at the seminary shortly after 7:30 AM. The community affairs and detective divisions are investigating.

Finn said the vandal or vandals should be prosecuted.

"It's important that a strong message be sent out that this is wrong," he said. "It is really an assault on Christianity. I think it's a bias crime, I do. It wasn't done on a mall."

Finn said no one at the seminary could recall hearing about an incident of vandalism at any point in the seminary's 110-year history. He joked that the perpetrators should be sent to him, so he could make them work the seminary grounds.

The vandalism may bring to mind that David Berkowitz, the "Son of Sam," was reported to belong to a satanic cult in Yonkers. Berkowitz insisted in interviews that several of the murders pinned on him were committed by other members of the cult.

Maury Terry, a freelance writer, advanced this idea in his 1987 book, The Ultimate Evil, writing that Berkowitz began his evil ways by sacrificing dogs in a Yonkers park.
    video of the news report:

http://wcbstv.com/video/?id=88559@wcbs.dayport.com

Who is Slayer?

Slayer is a band from California. Their music has come to epitomize Satanic speed metal music in the latter half of the 20th century. Their 1986 album, "Reign in Blood" is one of the single most influential metal albums of all time, typified by the modern classic "Angel of Death".

Official Statement on Participation

# Listen to Slayer at full blast in your car.
    # Listen to Slayer at full blast in your home.
    # Listen to Slayer at full blast at your place of employment.
    # Listen to Slayer at full blast in any public place you prefer.

DO NOT use headphones! The objective of this day is for everyone within earshot to understand that it is the National Day of Slayer. National holidays in America aren't just about celebrating; they're about forcing it upon non-participants.

Taking that participation to a problematic level

# Stage a "Slay-out." Don't go to work. Listen to Slayer.
    # Have a huge block party that clogs up a street in your neighborhood. Blast Slayer albums all evening. Get police cruisers and helicopters on the scene. Finish with a full-scale riot.
    # Spray paint Slayer logos on churches, synagogues, or cemeteries.
    # Play Slayer covers with your own band (since 99% of your riffs are stolen from Slayer anyway).
    # Kill the neighbor's dog and blame it on Slayer.

Where to purchase Slayer albums

If you don't already have at least one Slayer album in your collection, purchase from amazon.com.

Save time and money -- buy "Reign in Blood." Just be sure to order it in time for June 6th!

Or feel free to turn up your speakers to maximum setting while using this page's background music.

Last edited by jyoung; 06 Jun 2009 at 01:05 AM.

2. OMG!

I'm celebrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pandora @ work with Slayer FTW!!!!

3. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post

pls blv
    It won't let me rep you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

4. I thought this thread was a holiday for Jason or Michael Myers.

5. Glad to see satanic metal-influenced vandalism is alive and well. It honestly makes me proud of our youth.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. Blame the parents.

7. If you think THAT'S awesome, you should see that kid's textbooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. NEVER FORGET!

New happenings this year:

International Day of Slayer petitions the White House

SUMMARY

The International Day of Slayer Task Force has petitioned President Barack Obama to make the National Day of Slayer an official American holiday. As a culture in itself, metal (exemplified by Slayer) deserves recognition, and IDoS directors feel a holiday would begin that process.

BODY

Directors of the International Day of Slayer, a holiday for metal music and those who enjoy the music of Slayer, have petitioned the White House to make the holiday official.

"Heavy metal music is the central belief of a culture that exists among us, and Slayer is the perfect spokesperson," said Brett Stevens, a member of the International Day of Slayer (IDoS) Task Force. "We are a pluralistic nation composed of many cultures, some of which you're born into and some you choose. For many of us, metal becomes the only culture that makes sense to us, and it's only fair we get representation."

According to the Webster's New Millenium Dictionary of English, pluralism means "a condition in which many cultures coexist within a society and maintain their cultural differences; also called multiculturalism." This describes the modern-day United States and Europe, where the homogenous nation has given way to many different ethnic, religious, and cultural group.

"Elective cultures," according to Stevens, are at the forefront of these trends: people in pluralistic societies grow up without inheriting the values, customs and philosophy of any single culture, so many of them will pick a replacement. Heavy metal, as an idealistic genre in which a philosophy of worship of power, hedonism and epic beauty dominates, provides meaning and unity to many who are seeking a replacement culture.

The International Day of Slayer was born back in 2006 as the "National Day of Slayer," at first a parody of the "National Day of Prayer" celebrated in the United States. As its popularity grew, its backers found support for making it an international holiday, since Slayer exemplifies metal culture and its spirit. Now in its third year of existence, the International Day of Slayer is celebrated on June 6th.

IDoS concedes it may be too much to ask the White House to hold an observance ceremony for Slayer this June 6th, but hopes that President Obama will privately listen to Slayer on this day like so many of his constituents. To aid him in this task, the IDoS task force has mailed a brand-new copy of Slayer's seminal classic, "Reign in Blood" to the White House. This also marks the first time a Slayer CD has been in the White House.

The requested proclamation is reproduced below:

Resolution

WHEREAS, Hessians are a legitimate elective culture that should be recognized with their own national day of celebration and

WHEREAS, Slayer is freaking awesome and one of the most influential metal bands in history and

WHEREAS, The theme of the National Day of Slayer is "Don't go to work, listen to Slayer," which reflects the imminent importance of Slayer in the lives of hessians across America and

NOW, THEREFORE I, Barack Obama, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, hereby proclaim the day of June 6, 2009, as National Day of Slayer, saluting the valuable artistic contributions of the band Slayer and the legitimacy of the hessian culture that supports them. And I call upon all Americans to listen to Slayer on this day and every day hereafter.

About Slayer

Slayer is a speed metal band from Long Beach, CA who specialize in themes of a mechanistic society manipulated by the occult. For over 20 years, their brand of high-intensity metal has been a watermark for the metal subculture.

About International Day of Slayer

The International Day of Slayer is an initiative by Slayer fans to create a worldwide holiday on June 6 for listening to the music of Slayer.

###
    New Slayer album is also out July 7

Here is the first single from the new album:

9. Who fucking cares about Slayer anymore?
    Boo, Hiss.