Thread: A good friend of mine is dying

1. A good friend of mine is dying

Recently my computer has been having some fairly significant problems. A couple of years ago I upgraded from my ati x800 to a snazzy new Nvidia GT79000 which also required a power supply upgrade. Unfortunately I believe the power supply has been dying and killing the video card with it. About a year ago I started getting artifacting problems with my games (only cerystain ones) and it became very difficult to get my computer to start from a full off position as it would start to load up Windows but never fully get there and just rest on a black screen.

Anyways, I just moved and my computer has just about kicked the bucket. I took it apart today to clean the interior as the last time I did that it helped greatly, if even for a short time. In the past day it was giving me huge problems and was just about unusable and that's why I figured I'd give it another cleaning. When I opened the case I saw the PCI-E cable from the power supply was not attached to the video card. I do not have the slightest idea of how it possibly could've come undone as it was clamped securely to the video card but it did non-theless. When I fixed it back up I was able to get it to boot again but it continues to freeze. In frustration I set it to boot of integrated graphics hoping to just get my Windows applications back. Now I get no image on the screen whatsoever, as if the computer is not even connected to the monitor, even when booting. Being as that I don't have a lot of money to drop on computer hardware right now, I was thinking of throwing my x800 back in the computer (if I can find it) so I can at least use it for the time being until I can afford to replace to the power supply and video card (I think the power supply was going bad because of the loud noises my computer has been making over the past year or so). I think my video card was already damaged but I think the PCI-E cable not being attached has done far worse damage. However, my main concern right now is not replacing the components but thinking if I can actually get it to boot now that I set it to integrated graphics in the boot menu (which it apparently has none). I'm hoping when I attach a new card that the system will reset it's display settings but I can't be sure.

Any advice pertaining to my problem would be greatly appreciated. Even though I don't have the internet at my new place and am using my friends laptop to leach off an unsecured wireless connection doesn't mean that my computer is still not among my best of friends. It honestly needs to be replaced as a large majority of components that have not been upgraded since I purchased it over three years ago are starting to fail (DVD drives mostly) but I don't have it in the budget right now and I'd like to keep it running as long as possible.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

2. I don't want to derail the thread but...

You missed some good times, dude.

3. Good times missed confirmed.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

4. this

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    About a year ago I started getting artifacting problems with my games (only cerystain ones) and it became very difficult to get my computer to start from a full off position as it would start to load up Windows but never fully get there and just rest on a black screen..
    and this

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    (I think the power supply was going bad because of the loud noises my computer has been making over the past year or so). I think my video card was already damaged but I think the PCI-E cable not being attached has done far worse damage.
    are reasons some people should not have computers. you had warning signs and ignored them. computers are like anything else. they don't fix themselves. loud noises usually mean gunk built up on the fans. that means more heat and in turn if untreated means shit burns out.

5. get new friends

6. Gohron missed out on fucking awesome times.

Also: what dyne and NETWUUUURKED said.

what what!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    this

and this

are reasons some people should not have computers. you had warning signs and ignored them. computers are like anything else. they don't fix themselves. loud noises usually mean gunk built up on the fans. that means more heat and in turn if untreated means shit burns out.
    Yeah, it's kind of hard to fix and replace stuff when you don't have a lot of expendable income, especially when the PS started making noises only several months after I bought it. I also took the computer apart and completely cleaned the inside of the case many times in an effort to try and solve the problem.

Anyways, the video card is dead but I did find a port on the back protected by a rubber sleeve that connects to the on-board video so I can use it for basic stuff as of now. It still freezes after loading Windows a lot and rests on that black screen right before you get a mouse cursor but I remembered just yesterday that when all of my start-up programs were disabled (a way to get Fallout 1 to run in XP) the computer never gave me any problems booting up.

Also, the rest of you are fucking morons for taking the "computer, best friend, OMFG!!!!" stuff seriously, especially when you've met me in person...
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

8. Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post

Also, the rest of you are fucking morons for taking the "computer, best friend, OMFG!!!!" stuff seriously, especially when you've met me in person...
    Who the fuck said this, Daisy?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    Who the fuck said this, Daisy?
    Oh Jesus, I'm thick. You guys were talking about NYC...anyways, moving right along...

I wanted to come up but I just moved and I wasn't sure I was going to have the cash for the trip (well, I would have but I just drained a good deal of my savings). There'll be good times in the future, sorry I missed out.