Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Soccer Discussion Thread

1. the danger of the offside trap is if you spring it too soon as a defender you can get badly exposed.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Gee can't imagine why I wouldn't like soccer. First game of the biggest event in the sport--1-1 tie.

laff
    The world has some 'splainin' to do. I just don't get it. Every 4 years we are faced with this, and every 4 years I tune in because watching my own country in international competition is always good for some fun. But every 4 years I'm left scratching my head. How can the biggest sport in the world be this boring? How can the fastest, most nimble athletes in the world be tethered to a sport that moves so slowly? How are 90 minute games that commonly end with 1 or 2 goals acceptable? Do we end in a tie, play a 20 hour game, or decide the outcome by playing an entirely different game unrelated to soccer (shootout)? Ugh.

And how is it that soccer features guys running on solid ground shooting at a huge goal guarded by a tiny man while hockey features guys skating on ice shooting at a tiny goal guarded by a huge man, yet shit actually happens with refreshing regularity in hockey while soccer just grinds it's gears for 90 minutes?

And speaking of hockey, could you imagine how rad it would be if the rest of the world took it's energy, rabid fan bases, and top-class athletic talent and invested in something more interesting? Like football, baseball, hockey, basketball, lacrosse, handball, rugby, or... just anything.

3. There's a big difference between tracking a small black puck against the stands at 90+ mph and tracking a primarily white ball travelling slower. Plus there's hitting and other variables. I love both sports and have played goal in both. Totally different beasts.

4. Fucking USA.

Joust, STFU already. If you don't like soccer, then nothing is going to change your mind so STFU and GTFO of this thread. I don't go to MLB thread and say how borin baseball really is.

5. 1-1 at halftime. Shitty goal for the US but that's why you put them on net.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    except not really.
    Except totally.

All the fucking things you guys are talking about have happened to hockey and the sport is immensely worse.

No ties, more refs, and no two line passing. Fuck you idiots. You have no idea.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Hockey and Soccer are just different. Hockey's better, clearly, but Soccer is rad too.

It helps to have played the sports. People just don't get it until they've really played.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

8. lol England

9. Every other goal oriented sports allow you to use your hands to score (well hockey/baseball with a stick, but you are still using your hands). Soccer is the only one that you can't use your hands, hence the low scoring. Your body has to be in complete control, chest, head, shoulders, and legs and feet. There are still great moments to watch in a tie game.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Every other goal oriented sports allow you to use your hands to score (well hockey/baseball with a stick, but you are still using your hands). Soccer is the only one that you can't use your hands, hence the low scoring. Your body has to be in complete control, chest, head, shoulders, and legs and feet. There are still great moments to watch in a tie game.
    I've always found in most cases people who think soccer is boring also think the ground game in mma is boring. There a lot more to pay attention to in both sports than the flashy stuff.