Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4050525354555658 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Soccer Discussion Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    I don't think I have ever posted in the sports section of TNL but I'm wondering how come soccer this year suddenly seems much more popular in North America than it was in previous years? Are they advertising like crazy on TV? I see all these flags of various countries locally lately and it wasn't like that during any previous soccer events.
    Maybe because for the first time in about 30 years, the US actually has a good national football team (I'm afraid I just can't bring myself to call it soccer, it's a sport that involves the foot and a ball, unlike the other 'football').

2. Soccer is a common shortened name of "association football".

Quote Originally Posted by DezzoLits View Post
    football
    Fútbol, son.

Quote Originally Posted by DezzoLits View Post
    it's a sport that involves the foot and a ball, unlike the other 'football'.
    Last edited by Josh; 26 Jun 2014 at 08:21 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    I don't think I have ever posted in the sports section of TNL but I'm wondering how come soccer this year suddenly seems much more popular in North America than it was in previous years? Are they advertising like crazy on TV? I see all these flags of various countries locally lately and it wasn't like that during any previous soccer events.
    Soccer is genuinely big in the Pacific Northwest now, the Supersonics leaving left a vacuum filled by the Sounders.

Soccer is also way more popular in the US in general. The new Premier League and MLS TV contracts are something like 3x bigger than the last ones.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    It helps when the World Cup isn't on the other side of the world with bad time zones.

6. "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

This is the dude I knew.

8. Oh shit! That guy? Wow.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Dude gets his teeth cleaned at my Dad's.

I like how the Dutch piece of shit that drew the stoppage time penalty admitted to embellishing in the first half but claims he didn't at the end. He should have gotten the yellow card, and Mexico should have been headed to extra time. I think Herrera was pretty spot on with his comments about the officiating.