Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Animator's Survival Kit DVD Set

1. The Harkonen Mentat is right, Frog. You're going to love it.

Also, no singing.

2. Quote Originally Posted by PieterVH View Post
    If the only version you ever saw was the pile of poop that I think is still available on DVD from Amazon, you're in for one hell of a ride.
    I believe it was the Miramax VHS version that I was introduced to. The person who turned me onto it wasn't an animation buff at all so I seriously doubt it was one of the bootleg restored versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    Also, no singing.
    Yeah, version I saw definitely had singing.

3. I think I know of a certain body of water housing some scallawags that has the most recent version.

4. Animations. Animatons. Let's get on, let's get on. Where's the fire? It's out now!
    Donk

5. Hold. the. pen real tight and get ready for a real fight?

I watched recobbled on youtube to get a feel for it, since the DVD is going to take a week to download. I'll still get it and ogle the animation later, but I was curious to see what was changed.

With that perspective, the Mirimax version reminds me of a bad anime localization or something. I didn't notice it so much when I first watched it, but they just narrate the shit out of every little thing like it's a cartoon for the blind. I really like the silent cartoon feel of the original.

The actual cuts to the animation don't bother me so much, though. Tightening up some pacing here and there isn't a big deal. The only one that bugged me was all the material they cut from the big rube goldberg finale. That was completely awesome and should have been left 100% intact.

The sound was really the big issue for me. Yeah the new animation is inferior, and they trimmed a little here and there, but nothing that wrecks the movie as a whole besides the shitty voices and songs.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 18 Jun 2008 at 03:14 AM.

6. From what I can tell, Mark III has the most intact sound.

This means I have to *&^*%ing download it again.

Thanks for coming by Pieter and filling us in. It is always nice to see people that care about their product let others know about it (instead of just the normal money grubbing marketing guys).

Quote Originally Posted by PieterVH View Post
    (Obviously ripped and recompressed copies -which we're afraid will turn up- will lose all that functionality, resulting in a very crippled version of the original. Sorry. )
    be careful with this sort of talk. I'd advise being more tactful. You're throwing the gauntlet down for some super geek to find a way to hack those disk. And trust me, somewhere out there, there is someone that can do it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    Thanks for coming by Pieter and filling us in. It is always nice to see people that care about their product let others know about it (instead of just the normal money grubbing marketing guys).

be careful with this sort of talk. I'd advise being more tactful. You're throwing the gauntlet down for some super geek to find a way to hack those disk. And trust me, somewhere out there, there is someone that can do it.
    Hi ehm... cheeks. No problem. And thanks for the tip. Obviously they are DVDs and there's nothing stopping people from doing a one to one copy unfortunately. Not much of a hacking challenge, more of a bandwidth one ... All we can try to do is make something that's so great people will want to spend what it's worth on it.

It's never very encouraging to see people talk about ripping and torrents etc, 5 months before the thing is actually out there (I'm not just talking about here by the way). Anyway yes, it seems like good advice not trying to make it look like a challenge... good to see you care!

Cheers,
    Pieter.
    Last edited by PieterVH; 18 Jun 2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: typo...

9. Just to note so you can tell your overlords, if John Lassader ever funded Williams making a finished version of The Thief and the Cobbler, I'd buy it twice.

10. Also William's vision of Raggedy Ann and Andy, i'll buy it once for every person i care about and twice for myself.
    Donk