Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Animator's Survival Kit DVD Set

1. Animator's Survival Kit DVD Set

Richard “Roger Rabbit/Thief and the Cobbler” Williams is putting out a SIX-TEEN DVD set of his “Animator’s Survival Kit” lecture series. I don't know an animator who wouldn't donate an important limb for this.

It costs ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS*. But it looks HOLY CRAP AMAZING.

http://www.foyles.co.uk/animatorssurvivalkit.asp

http://www.theanimatorssurvivalkit.com/volumes_1_4.html

This would be a good time for anybody going to a art school with a decent library, I'm thinking.

*actually 596.00 pounds on pre-order, which currently translates to 1,164.55 USD. Kind of a step-up from the $30 book! WTF, Richard Williams? You trying to fund Thief and the Cobbler again?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Title.jpg 
Views:	1505 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	36610  
    Last edited by YellerDog; 10 Jun 2008 at 10:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. I'd love it, but I'll stick with the book.

Also - very depressing how the pound is twice as strong as the dollar ;_;
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

3. There's whispers at the studio about getting a group-buy together or something. We shall see.

4. What a huge waste of money.

5. Not a fan?

Oh right John K.

But yeah, anybody dropping full price on this who's not running a library or something maaay be a chump. For >$100, it's really easy to justify though.

Still, better to learn by doing! No amount of how-to bullshit will replace drawing a lot.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 10 Jun 2008 at 11:31 AM.

6. NEW YORK 22nd September
    Richard Williams will be in conversation with John Canemaker at MoMA and showing clips from his work as well as presenting The Animator's Survival Kit - Animated.
    I'll go check that out.

I think its cool seeing the more memorable drawings from the book move around.

7. I would LOVE to get these, but until I have a job, $1,200 bucks for the DVDs just isn't happening.

Also is there any word on what format dvd these are? IE What region coding are they, are they PAL, NTSC? Can you pick which one you want? etc etc I assume they're PAL since it's coming from the UK., but they might be region 0.

Cause right now I would hate to be the one to drop 1200 bucks on them, get them here and then not be able to play them.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

8. Region free NTSC, I believe. I'll double check.

I don't think I know any animators who make enough to drop $1200 on something like this. Except for trust fund kids who never knuckled down enough to get a job in the field anyway.

These DVDs are Region Free and will be accepted by all DVD players. However, The Animator's Survival Kit - Animated is NTSC television standard (North American). Other parts of the world use the PAL and SECAM television standards but 95% of PAL/SECAM DVD/TV combinations will still play these DVDs perfectly. If in doubt please check your DVD Player's instructions.

As PC-based DVD-players can play all television standards, you will be able to play The Animator's Survival Kit - Animated in a DVD-equipped computer provided your computer is equipped with a DVD drive and suitable DVD playing software.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 10 Jun 2008 at 11:30 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Not a fan?

Oh right John K.

But yeah, anybody dropping full price on this who's not running a library or something maaay be a chump. For >$100, it's really easy to justify though.

Still, better to learn by doing!
    His book is a convoluted mess. I'd rather study Jim Tyer and have fun.

Only Animation Nation style fags will buy this.

10. I'm starting to think they made this more for studios or libraries to buy up for reference material. Honestly,I can't think of a single, gainfully employed yet hard working animator who would shell out for this. $1,200 is a lot to swallow and when you're working 40 - 80 hours a week, there's little time to invest in watching stuff anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.