Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3040424344

Thread: New Robocop movie?

How was Rocky pro-conservative?

2. I'll grant you everything Chuck Norris ever did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. In Ghostbusters, government regulation is as big a threat as Zool. A band of bootstrap-pullin' academics-turned-entrepreneurs have the entire spiritual realm on lockdown until the immovable EPA steps in, threatening to ruin their small business and the world .

Josh, I have a really good essay on Rocky and conservatism in a book if you're interested. I can scan it and send it if you'd like. It's only a few pages long and is pretty interesting. IIRC, it talks about Rambo, too.

I'd love to read it. Please do so at your convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    In Ghostbusters, government regulation is as big a threat as Zool. A band of bootstrap-pullin' academics-turned-entrepreneurs have the entire spiritual realm on lockdown until the immovable EPA steps in, threatening to ruin their small business and the world .
    maybe

One of the comedians or writers might have had a conservative bias. But it also goes the other way. It openly mocks the lengths they have to go to get start up capital. There is also a pretty big theme of 'God is dead (or at least is now very mundane and not special at all).' I mean, they beat a God at the end. And nothing ever gives any credence to the christian religion. There are no angels. Or people exercising demons. There aren't even demons.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I'd love to read it. Please do so at your convenience.
    Same. Send me a copy as well whenever this happens, if you could.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    maybe One of the comedians or writers might have had a conservative bias. But it also goes the other way. It openly mocks the lengths they have to go to get start up capital. There is also a pretty big theme of 'God is dead (or at least is now very mundane and not special at all).' I mean, they beat a God at the end. And nothing ever gives any credence to the christian religion. There are no angels. Or people exercising demons. There aren't even demons.
    Yeah, that's fair. And none of these movies are outwardly political (except the og Robocop). I'm definitely not saying Rocky, Rambo, or Ghostbusters are conservative propaganda, but I do think they symptomize some of the conservative tendencies of the decade(ish).

8. Well the original Rambo was definitely conservative propaganda, but not so much the other two.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Ghostbusters is mainly conservative in hindsight. Ghostbusters is about industry. About how science and industry have made the magical realms of the 'Gods' the domain of man. Which seems like a bold statement, but in practice it is boring and mundane. That was the punch line. That we could pull the stars from the skys, harness the power of other worlds, kill the gods, but at the end of the day, we're not much more than janitors cleaning up messes, joking over our dinner, stressing out over the same shit that our ancestors worried about. Thats why we all love them. They are everymen. We are all ghostbusters. With our iphones, computers, cars, airplanes, medical care, etc. We blast the flat top everyday, but all we worry about is getting with Dana Barrett.

There might be earlier examples, but Ghostbusters might have been the first successful movie to hint at that theme. Other comedians/entertainers talk about it in some form. Its a pretty huge theme in Venture Brothers. That whole show is about failure and living in the reality left behind by the generation that shaped 1940-1980. About how mundane the amazing now is.

Louis CK has a pretty good bit about it too.

We consider industry to be a part of the conservative party because they've made it a talking point since Reagan.

I don't care if the theme is older than that. Go make a thread on some chan if you want to bitch about details
    Last edited by Fe 26; 23 Feb 2014 at 10:07 PM.