Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: The endless fight about FF8

zidane747 Guest
    Originally posted by MechDeus
    I hated Triple Triad. As soon as I realized there was something similar in FFIX, I immediately avoided it in FFIX as much as I could. I felt it could've been a great game against actual human opponents, but I really didn't like it against the puter. I do have some actual cards of it laying around somewhere, though nowhere near enough to actually play against someone.

I thought Triple Triad was addicting as all hell. I made myself get all of the cards so I could compete. Quad Mist in FFIX was good, but not as good as TT.

2. Originally posted by MechDeus
    I do have some actual cards of it laying around somewhere, though nowhere near enough to actually play against someone.
    Me too. I bought them from an EB somewhere and promptly squirled them away. I'll be damned if'n I know where they are now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

Zell's punch special crap is by far the coolest limit break yet in the FF series. It's a matter of opinion, but I belive FFVIII has the best story, mainly because I actually like the love stories in RPGs, all though most don't. Also, Seifer was one cool son of a bitch. The way everything got twisted was great, from Edea being that dude's (I forget his name) wife to Seifer being evil. FFVIII had by far the best world in the FF series. And I loved it's ending.
    -Rich :jest:

4. FF8 is my favorite psone FF game by a huge margin.

And triple triad...Woo! Freaking amazing. Put a nice little interface on it, and set up an overworld ala Card Fighters Clash and I would buy it in an instant!

5. Pros:

-THE GUNBLADE
    -The Gardens looked hella amazing
    -Junctioning was pretty original in concept
    -Better graphics than FF7
    -Ability to finish commands during summons
    -Triple Triad
    -Ability to remove random battles entirely

Cons:

-The cast sucked
    -Story was a joke(love story... )
    -Summons took forever to finish
    -Renzokuken was abusable
    -Draw system made battles boring
    -Last boss was stupid
    -Most areas inaccessible in Disc 4
    -Switching chars was a chore(if Junction was tweaked more this wouldn't be a problem)
    -Chars lacked actual differences aside from Limit Breaks(and since those became desperation moves, everyone was basically static)
    -Eden GF(zzzz....)

zidane747 Guest
    Originally posted by Freeter
    Pros:

-THE GUNBLADE

Totally man, the design and final product kicked ass.

7. My Square hatred is no secret on this board. So while I feel very much like taking the Ethugg route (bash the game and give no explanation as to why I harbor such loathing) with FF8, I will elaborate.

Story:
    First of all this story was broken as hell. It made almost no damn sense from beginning to end. "Yes" says headmaster Cid "I want you to kill the witch Edea. Oh, by the way, she's my wife" HUH?!

"Yes" squeals Rinoa "We will liberate our homeland. Nevermind the fact this plays absolutely no role in the story whatsoever." UMMM....

"Look" everyone shouts "the moon is turning into marshmallows! AHHHH!!!" WTF?! When the hell was this mentioned?

"Oh wow" everybody squeals "what a coincedence! We were all raised in the same orphanage and there wasn't a goddamn hint or clue that any of us had even the slightest familiarity with each other! WHAT A PLOT TWIST!" Ok now I'm getting pissed off......

"Man" blubbers squall as he carries an unconscious Rinoa "I sure have changed! Where and when this took place in the story I have no idea, but it was the writer's lame idea that I go from a complete jerk to Mr Uber Nice Guy for no reason." Grrrrrrr........

And sure it was completely obvious by the end of the game that Laguna was Squall's father, but WHAT THE FUCK DID THIS HAVE TO WITH THE STORY?! Not a damn thing!

And the last boss. Pure and utter stupidity. Where did she come from? What is her motivation? WHO THE HELL IS SHE? ARRGHHH!!!

Characters:
    Bland, lifeless, boring as all hell.

Squall
    Annoying, whiny femmeboy, who treats everybody like shit then suddenly see the light because of "love" (cue fuzzy, dreamlike sequence with chirping birds and sappy music) *blergh*.

Rinoa
    VERY annoying, clueless ditz who most interesting feature was her dog.

Zell
    Idiot boy, man-child that served no purpose other than as pathetic comic relief.

Selphie
    Bubbly, air-headed ditz with a pair of nunchucks probably larger than her IQ. Served no purpose other than as a dopey cheerleader.

Irvine
    Pedophilic, prettyboy. Mildly interesting due to his Limit Break.

Edea
    In your party for a total of five minutes. Why was she even a playable character?

Quistis
    Ummm....what was point of her presence? She played no role in this at all.

Seifer
    Whiny, mama's boy who needed to be shot. Probably the only interesting character in the game.

Raijin and Fuunin
    Pointless y'know. Idiot attempt at comic relief y'know. LAMEST BOSSES EVAR! RAGE!!

Laguna and his whole troop
    I only liked the black guy because he was a sarcastic smartass and had cool weapons.

Battle system:
    Busted, broken, poorly implemented.

Draw/Junction system
    A good idea gone horribly wrong. Must engage in 20 minute battles just max out one fucking spell. Wouldn't have been so tedious if you could've drawn more than nine spells at once.

Magic Spell
    Utterly useless thanks to the draw/junction system. Ultima only does 2000 damage? WTF is this?

Battle length
    TOO FUCKING LONG!!! I should NOT be fighting Malboro's for ten damn minutes at a time.

Limit Breaks
    Sadly these were necessarily abusable thanks to the ridiculous battle times.

Guardian Forces
    Sit for five minutes through the same animations over and over just to do a lousy 9999 damage.

Weapon Upgrades
    You mean I gotta hunt all over the fucking map for one stupid enemy that has some meaningless item just so I can do more damage!? Bleh.

Leveling up
    Too easy and essentially meaningless since all some enemy has to do is cast L5 Death and wipe out a maxed out party unless you're junctioned against it.

Music:
    An absolute travesty from beginning to end. Uematsu at his worst. Nothing memorable, nothing noteworthy. Just bland, generic, forgettable, midi-based tripe.

And that is why I hate FF8. I played through this thing 3 times trying to make sense of everything and came out hating it all the more.

8. The problem with FF8: the story SUCKED!

'nuff said...
    "The only way microsoft would make something that doesn't suck is if they made vacuums"

9. Haha. I disagree with the music bit, but the rest is funny ('cause it's true).

zidane747 Guest
    Originally posted by Psx
    The problem with FF8: the story SUCKED!

'nuff said...

I'm not attacking you in the least, but what didn't you like about the story?