Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The endless fight about FF8

1. Originally posted by Master of 7s
    My Square hatred is no secret on this board. So while I feel very much like taking the Ethugg route (bash the game and give no explanation as to why I harbor such loathing) with FF8, I will elaborate...

...And that is why I hate FF8. I played through this thing 3 times trying to make sense of everything and came out hating it all the more.
    ... oh my god... Master of 7s... best post ever... seriously

zidane747 Guest
    Originally posted by FirstBlood

You even changed his quote into your style of writing, that was cool too.

3. ... me and my elipses...

zidane747 Guest
    Originally posted by FirstBlood
    ... me and my elipses...

No, I was serious. I thought that was really cool. I wasn't being sarcastic.

5. FF8 sucks. An RPG is and always will be about the battle system, and the FF8 one was just terrible. No MP??? Drawing spells??? And even if you draw you are not guaranteed to get anything. The story is also mediocre. Games like the original Grandia (Saturn, not the psx one) and AZEL Panzer Dragoon RPG where, in comparison, much shorter than FF8, but the battle systems where so well designed and innovative that you actually looked forward to the next battle. Sorry square, not this time...

P.S.
    Squall is gay...
    http://www.xboxgamertag.com/gamercard/NGE42/fullnxe/card.png

Originally posted by Freeter
    Pros:

-THE GUNBLADE
    -The Gardens looked hella amazing
    -Junctioning was pretty original in concept
    -Better graphics than FF7
    -Ability to finish commands during summons
    -Triple Triad
    -Ability to remove random battles entirely

Cons:

-The cast sucked
    -Story was a joke(love story... )
    -Summons took forever to finish
    -Renzokuken was abusable
    -Draw system made battles boring
    -Last boss was stupid
    -Most areas inaccessible in Disc 4
    -Switching chars was a chore(if Junction was tweaked more this wouldn't be a problem)
    -Chars lacked actual differences aside from Limit Breaks(and since those became desperation moves, everyone was basically static)
    -Eden GF(zzzz....)
    Re:Cons. All though mostly opinion, 1-I personally enjoyed the cast very much. 2- Love stories are a signature for Square and are usually good. 3- If im not mistaken you could get rid of Summon cinemas. 4-Last boss was great. 5- In most FFs there are usually times when you can't do any more side quests. e.g. final dungeons. So, you do them on Disk 3, duh. 6- Most people play with same characters that fit their play style, at least I didn't change much. 7- Again about the GF, just skip them.
    -Rich :jest:

zidane747 Guest
    Originally posted by Rich

3- If im not mistaken you could get rid of Summon cinemas

Nope, you can't. You'll have to sit through the 5 minutes Eden spell all the time. That's the only bad point about the game.

8. Originally posted by Rich

Re:Cons. All though mostly opinion, 1-I personally enjoyed the cast very much. 2- Love stories are a signature for Square and are usually good. 3- If im not mistaken you could get rid of Summon cinemas. 4-Last boss was great. 5- In most FFs there are usually times when you can't do any more side quests. e.g. final dungeons. So, you do them on Disk 3, duh. 6- Most people play with same characters that fit their play style, at least I didn't change much. 7- Again about the GF, just skip them.
    -Rich :jest:
    3-Nope, can't get rid of summon cinemas in this game. You're thinkin FF9/10.

5-I wasn't talkin about side quests. I meant you can't visit most places since they become locked out.

6-What play style? Everyone was practically the same, unless you either a)drew a whole mess of Auras from Seifer(short way)/hidden Draw point(long way) or b) stayed in the yellow all the time.

7-Again, can't skip em.

9. Originally posted by FirstBlood

Thanks, First Blood. All I try to do is be as honest as possible (which usually entails much swearing on my part as you may have noticed ).

But when I hate something there is usually a good reason for it and I try my best to let others understand why. Others may not agree, but at least they understand where I'm coming from.

I grokked this game in fullness and I grokked a great wrongness.
    (If you read Robert A. Heinlein you'll know what I'm talking about)

10. Well, I did like FF8 as Zidane mentioned in the beginning I enjoyed playing it, and I'm just too tired to go into every small details to try to convince bunch of people who is set in their own opinions that the game is actually good and worth playing. There is no point to do that. So in the Squals infamous words: Whatever !