Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The endless fight about FF8

zidane747 Guest
    Originally posted by MechDeus

In any case, Zidane was wondering why other people didn't like the game, hence us voicing our opinions on why we feel it isn't good. It's not like we started complaining for the sake of complaining.

Mech's right, I asked them why they didn't like FF8, and they voiced their opinions, which is what I asked for and wanted. Thanks guys.

2. Re: The endless fight about FF8

Originally posted by zidane747
    there are about 2 people that like it on these boards(besides me, and Despair)
    Make that 3, I liked it also

zidane747 Guest

Re: Re: The endless fight about FF8

Originally posted by Werewolf

Make that 3, I liked it also

Oh yeah, I'm sorry, I forgot about you WW. BTW, what was your favorite FF?

4. Originally posted by Frogacuda
    I have to say that too many RPGs seem to treat battles as if they should be a tolerable chore. Battles should be fun. The only reason you shouldn't look forward to them is because you're running low on healt or supplies. The battles themselves should be entertaining, and they often aren't.
    Which is why most RPG's are deeply flawed as video games, but are entertaining and relaxing as interactive fantasy novels.

5. Re: Re: Re: The endless fight about FF8

Originally posted by zidane747

Oh yeah, I'm sorry, I forgot about you WW. BTW, what was your favorite FF?
    Even though I am a huge fan of Final Fantasy, I've yet to play Final Fantasy I, II & III on Famicom so I can't account for them... but I would have to say Final Fantasy VII just clicked with me, it was different, I liked the characters and Sephiroth was the coolest bad guy ever

Add me to the list of people who liked it.

I liked the story, more than anything else. I am a bit of a sucker for a love story.

7. Originally posted by diffusionx
    Final Fantasy VIII came out in 1999... and people are STILL complaining about it? Jeez, let it go!

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why somebody who doesn't like the game will play through it not once, not twice, but three times. You could've spent the 80-100 hours you spent on beating FF8 two more times on a title you liked. Complaining about a game with such fervor and passion that is entering its third year of existence is just not worth the time to me...
    Since this is obviously directed at me I will reply. I did not say that I dislked this game. I said I hated this game. If you read the end of my post you would see that I'd said I played through the game three times trying to make sense of everything in this busted game. The story quality was so poor I thought I must've missed something along the way. So I gave Square the benefit of the doubt (twice, this was during my Square-is-God phase) and played it again.

When I was done the third time around I was extremely disappointed. I hadn't missed anything, the game just sucked monkey ass. I let it go at first, but with Square's current track record as of late, FF8 became the point for me where Square began its rapid decline into mediocrity. And as such the focal point of my loathing.

Besides, it wasn't like I started a thread screaming FINAL FANTASY VIII SU><0RS!!!!!! Zidane noticed the extreme amount of venom directed towards a game he loved and wanted to know why. Since I am the most vocal Square-hater on these boards I felt I should explain. Nuff said.

8. I'm a bit late to the party because I pissed yesterday away playing FF Tactics and Morrowind at a friend's house. Toss me in as one of the FF8 haters. I can say I legitimately gave it a chance, but half way through Disc 2 I couldn't stand it anymore. The characters didn't click with me, and I hated Squall with a passion. The whole orphanage thing was so incredibly stupid I had to tell everyone about it just to get their reactions. And don't get me started on the juctioning. I can appreciate the fact that they tried something different, but it just didn't work for me. Technically amazing and nice soundtrack, but the gameplay sucked ass, which counts the most.

9. i liked it

zidane747 Guest
    Originally posted by Master of 7s
    Besides, it wasn't like I started a thread screaming FINAL FANTASY VIII SU><0RS!!!!!! Zidane noticed the extreme amount of venom directed towards a game he loved and wanted to know why. Since I am the most vocal Square-hater on these boards I felt I should explain. Nuff said.

Exactly. In fact, Master of 7's post was by far the most informative in my opinion. I can understand where he's coming from 100%, although I may disagree, I still respect his opinion. I can also understand wanting to play multiple times to get the full effect of the story(Xenogears, anyone?), as I have done that many times. No need to persecute Diffusion.