Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Explorer: Turbo Grafx vs. Sega CD

1. Dungeon Explorer: Turbo Grafx vs. Sega CD

I gave both versions some serious playtime today. IMO, they both are great games, but I still have to stand by my statement that the Sega CD version is better.

Here's how they stack up...

Graphics: The TG rev makes much better use of color than the Sega CD game. It gives the game a nice, natural feel. however, the CD game has more detailed graphics. Little details, like reflections in the ice, trees moving, etc. give it the edge. Characters and monsters are also more detailed and better presented. Obviously, the Sega CD can't compete with the Turbo in colors, but it edges by with better and more detailed graphics.

Sound: No brainer here. The TG gives some nice, crisp stereo sound, and the tunes sound very nice. It can't compete with a great CD soundtrack though. The CD game's music just sounds better, and the inclusion of Gauntlet-style voices ("yum", "help") just make the game cooler on CD.

Characters: Here the TG stands out. With 8 classes (fighter, thief, warlock, witch, bard, bishop, elf, knome), it offers more variety than the Sega CD's 6 classes (knight, monk, elf, mage, beast, and ninja). All the classes in both games are damn cool, especially the beast on CD, but two more classes just offer more variety. An yes, that is the actual spelling of knome.

Save: Well, the TG offers none, not even with a Turbo Booster or Duo. You have to use a long ass password that I can never get excited enough to copy. The Sega CD rev gives you 4 save slots and lets you save the game at will.

Players: Again, the TG version shines. Using a Turbo Tap, you can play up to 5 players at once. DE on Sega CD only allows up to 4 players.

You have to remember that the style of both games is different, The TG game is an adventure/RPG-type game, as whereas the CD game is more Gauntlet-like. I prefer the CD game for the sound, graphics, and game style. I like the TG game, but the password feature and graphics kind of take away from the experience.

I recommend either one. In fact, if you own a Turbo and a Sega CD, get both. They're cheap enough.

2. I have to say I prefer the Turbo titles just because they feel a bit more like a Action-RPG, the Sega CD version seems like straight out Gaunlet gameplay. The Sega CD soundtrack is very nice though.

Melf, you play Dungeon Explorer 2 on Duo? Good game, great dubb job and soundtrack. There's another version on Super Famicom too... *-neo

TheSCHLONG! Guest
    ummm melf buddy? you say you prefer the sega cd rev....yet gush about the turbo rev in every statement nevermind....just reread the last sentence

4. I'd love to play DE 2. It's just too darn expensive. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Maybe someday I'll find a cheap copy somewhere and finally get to play it.

5. Originally posted by Melf
    I'd love to play DE 2. It's just too darn expensive. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Maybe someday I'll find a cheap copy somewhere and finally get to play it.
    Yep, it's quite pricey. I believe 5,000 were made and then Turbo Zone Direct got permission to make 500-1,000 more (the TZD versions I believe have xerox manuals). The game isn't a radical departure in graphics but the characters and cinemas add a lot to the game. *-neo

6. Wow, cool deal Melf, thanks for the impressions.

Just as I was afraid (or thought I remembered), I'd prefer a more Action/RPG than an Action/MazeQuest, and I think this is the reason I passed on the SegaCD rev back when. Regardless, it sounds like owning both copies is the way to go. I sure know the original established the Turbo as a respectable system in my mind back in the day. The 5 player action was just unmatched anywhere else. And crap!, how long was it between the orginal Turbo version and SegaCD rev?, like 5 years?...

Anybody have some words for how playable DungeonExplorer is with a TurboExpress? (I'm calculating future expenditures)

7. So Dungeon Explorer 2 is basically DE with a CD soundtrack and cinemas..?

8. i will own DE2, one of these days...
    -----------------------
    http://www.gamegen.com/fightgen/dhalsim-yyy.gif
    -----------------------

9. I really got to track down DE2. I didn't even know it existed! I loved the original on the Turbo.

10. Originally posted by Rob
    So Dungeon Explorer 2 is basically DE with a CD soundtrack and cinemas..?
    No it's a full sequel, the graphic style hasn't changed much, but I presume that's to keep things moving smoothly with 5 players.

Incidentally, anyone ever play DE with multiple players? How does the game hold up (slowdown, flicker-wise)? *-neo