Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for some RPGs that are more MY style

1. Looking for some RPGs that are more MY style

Ok, I'm a fan of stories and everything, but I find a lot of RPGs too tedius to get through them. Mostly, I am not a fan of leveling up, because the constant fighting gets too monatinous (sp?). Anyway, I enjoy RPGs that either don't have a lot of leveling up, or have enjoyable enough battles that I don't mind them too much (XenoGears comes to mind, as do Strategy RPGs like Vandal Hearts and the Shining Force games). Anyone have any suggestions as to what I may like?

EDIT: I own Playstation 2, Genesis/CD/32x and Saturn, so hopefully this can narrow your suggestions down ( I do not plan to get new systems just for RPGs).

Another EDIT: I already have Shining Force 3 and Panzer Dragoon Saga.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

Vanguard Bandits.

You all owe it to yourselves to go and play Vanguard Bandits.

3. For Satun, I definitely recommend Shining the Holy Ark. Its the best first person rpg I've ever played, and the battles were never something I dreaded. Mystaria is decent if I remember right; someone else will have to tell you about it.

For Sega Cd, dark Wizard is a very good strategy rpg, good luck finding it. My friend will never let his copy go. Shining Force CD is another nice one, but that is also rare.

Since you have a PS2, both Lunar games have very good stories that will make you care about the characters, plus you can see the enemies before fighting. If you liked Xenogears, you'll like the battle system in Chrono Cross as their almost the exact same. Hope this helps.

4. Originally posted by 88mph
    Vanguard Bandits.

You all owe it to yourselves to go and play Vanguard Bandits.
    Hehe, cool. That one looked pretty cool and I put it on my Wanted list on GameTZ, glad to see I made a good choice.

Originally posted by Lordmrw

For Satun, I definitely recommend Shining the Holy Ark. Its the best first person rpg I've ever played, and the battles were never something I dreaded. Mystaria is decent if I remember right; someone else will have to tell you about it.

For Sega Cd, dark Wizard is a very good strategy rpg, good luck finding it. My friend will never let his copy go. Shining Force CD is another nice one, but that is also rare.

Since you have a PS2, both Lunar games have very good stories that will make you care about the characters, plus you can see the enemies before fighting. If you liked Xenogears, you'll like the battle system in Chrono Cross as their almost the exact same. Hope this helps.
    I enjoyed Mysteria for what little time I borrowed it, I think I'll track it down again. I'm kind of bummed about Dark Wizard and Shining Force CD since I passed those up so many years ago due to lack of money As for Lunar, I have the first on Sega CD. I'll look for Chrono Cross as well. Thanks for all the help.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

5. I suggest Eternal Eyes, though you have to be a big fan of strategy/RPGs to tolerate/enjoy it. I was able to max out my character just going through the game once (there are rewards for going through the game a second time) and participating only in mandatory battles.

6. you can see your enemies in Lunar. you can see a long list of tedious enemies that you'll have to plow through in long dungeons in Lunar. even if you can avoid some, it was still annoying as hell.

Anyways, Suikoden series. short dungeons, no real emphasis on levelling up, and everything else is gold.

7. Granstream Saga, PS.

8. valkyrie profile

you may like the more action oriented fighting style of this rpg, but it can get pretty long and there are allot of fights.

9. I also recommend Chrono Cross and Valkryie Profile, both have a bit more combo-based "actiony" fighting system. Here are some descriptions of VP.

Grandia 1 and 2. Though you are going to have to suffer through the Playstation 2 port of Grandia 2 if you want to play it...