Thread: Somebody please quell the digital converter box issue once and for all.

1. Somebody please quell the digital converter box issue once and for all.

i've got a couple old heads i work with that say their analog TV's with a direct cable connection (no receiver) on them won't need a converter box in February. Time Warner Cablevision keeps running ads that say anybody with a cable connection (doesn't specify needing a cable box) will be okay and only those with antenna will be affected. the way i see it is a digital signal will be coming to their nalog tv's with no conversion and all they'll see is scrambled signal.

2. I think so too. How would their analog TV process the digital signal from the cable connection?

3. They need a box, that's why walmart and shit were running deals on Digital boxes a while back.

4. https://www.dtv2009.gov/AboutProgram.aspx

Hahah. So, also, according to this, some cable companies are continuing to broadcast in analog, ANYWAY. Cable companies don't HAVE to stop analog broadcasts. They just can.

So, it really depends on what cable company they have. Time Warner and Cablevision are two, different companies... do you know what they'd have?
    Last edited by ChaoofNee; 25 Jun 2008 at 09:23 AM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    i've got a couple old heads i work with that say their analog TV's with a direct cable connection (no receiver) on them won't need a converter box in February. Time Warner Cablevision keeps running ads that say anybody with a cable connection (doesn't specify needing a cable box) will be okay and only those with antenna will be affected. the way i see it is a digital signal will be coming to their nalog tv's with no conversion and all they'll see is scrambled signal.
    Its simple, the 2009 switchover is ONLY for over the air brodcasts. Cable TV is a closed loop system, and they can keep thier systems analog as long as they would like.

IF the cable company decides to go all-digital (a few will) then you will need a cable box, which they will be required to provide you for free if they do so before 2012.

Satelite subscribers already need a box, so they have nothing to do at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    I think so too. How would their analog TV process the digital signal from the cable connection?
    The cable company will do the digital to analog conversion at thier head-end.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin