Thread: Slideshow in FCP

1. Slideshow in FCP

I've been doing some slideshows for people. Mostly just weddings for friends and their family. Nothing too flashy, but just simple pans and zooms. I've been trying to find the best settings for when making a slideshow, though I suppose the way I have been doing it has been working fine so far. Depending on the sizes of the image, I try to use Apple Pro Res (HQ) 1920x1080 30p or 1280x720 60p. The final product seems to turn out fine, but seeing as they are going to DVD, am I just wasting precious time with rendering when I could just have a sequence set DV NTSC anamorphic and changing the field dominance to none? If I do that, should I change the compressor to something like animation or photo-jpeg?

I've looked all over the net, and every place I go says something different. I suppose if what I am doing works on the overall DVD, then I shouldn't mess with anything, but if I can get the exact same quality and cut rendering time down then I'm all for going that route. So anyone have any help or advice?

2. The images are going to get resized to 720x480 anyways, so yeah its taking up extra space for the increased resolution. Keep it at dv ntsc, changing it to animation is going to make the renders larger, when compressor is going to knock it down to 720x480 when you output the sequence in mpeg2 anyways.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mezz View Post
    The images are going to get resized to 720x480 anyways, so yeah its taking up extra space for the increased resolution. Keep it at dv ntsc, changing it to animation is going to make the renders larger, when compressor is going to knock it down to 720x480 when you output the sequence in mpeg2 anyways.
    Thats what I figured. So set the sequence as DV NTSC anamorphic. But should I change the field dominance to none, or is that not gonna matter since DVD Studio Pro can only do 480i for DVD's?

4. well, ntsc is usually lower field dominance so you can change it to that in your sequence settings. its not going to matter really, since like you said, when you output the mpeg2 for dvd studio pro, its going to get cut down to 480i anyways, and get stuck with the lower field dominance.