Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft updates keeps trying to install the same update

1. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    hater.
    Oh Josh. I know that you know that I was just kidding, but it will be a sad day on teh internets when I don't know that you don't know if I am just messin. Wait, does that make sense?

Try looking up on Dell's website if they have a way to order the boot and driver discs. When I had a Gateway about 3 years ago, it crashed leaving it a worthless shell. A call to Gateway's customer service and I had the discs shipped my way for free. Don't know if Dell will give you them for free. I know when looking up for the instal discs for a Sony Vaio they were chargin like $10 or so to get the discs.

Your mom makes sense.

3. turn off auto-update?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Brand View Post
    Ok, well I am not getting a different computer anytime soon due to the fact I have little money, so please don't be all "Get a Mac".

Also my computer came from Dell from a time when they were not giving out OS disks so I have no way to format and reinstall.
    Torrent a CD. You own a licence, so you arent really pirating anything.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I've been using a windows laptop for a little over a month. It has fucked itself more times in that month than my mac did in 3 years. So, I don't know... you're wrong.
    Then you're doing it wrong.

Macs are for two types of people: artists (musicians included) and poseurs.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Macs are for two types of people: artists (musicians included) and poseurs.
    I agree. Now shut the fuck up.

Tommy Tallarico

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

7. Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility
    =============================================
    1. Download the tool:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...BD/msicuu2.exe

2. Save the file to the computer.
    3. Double click the msicuu2.exe to install this tool on the computer.

After doing that, take the following steps to remove previous installation of Microsoft XML Core Services.

Step 2: Remove MSXML software
    =========================
    1. Click "Start" -> "(All) Programs" -> "Windows Installer Clean Up".
    2. See if you can find MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 or its updates. If so, remove them.
    3. Restart the computer.

After that, try to reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 and KB936181.

Step 3: Reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2
    ================================
    1. Download the following files and save them to the Desktop.

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...629c/msxml.msi

MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB936181)
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...936181-enu.exe

2. After the files are downloaded, double-click the files to install them in order.

When finished access the Windows update site to check if this issue has been resolved.

why all the replies in here weren't carded is beyond me. would be nice if people actually contributed to fixing problems. do all of this with Auto Updates turned completely off.
    Last edited by Dyne; 26 Jun 2008 at 09:06 AM.

8. i take it from the rep this worked out for you?