Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: 3/4 Isometric View Action-Adventure Games

3/4 Isometric View Action-Adventure Games

The 3/4 isometric view doesn't seem to be a very well liked perspective in gaming, probably because many games that use it have control issues but there used to be some pretty cool action-adventure games in that style. They're still around today in small numbers with games like Scurge: Hive, too.

What action-adventure game with this perspective do you like most?

Here are some examples of ones that impressed me:

Last Ninja 2: Back with a Vengeance (Commodore 64)

D/Generation (ST)

Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole (Genesis)

Little Big Adventure/Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure (PC)

Unless there's something major I'm forgetting, my favourite is probably Last Ninja 2. I prefer LN1's theme but after replaying the games last year, I found the sequel to have better design, mostly because it did away with a lot of the highly frustrating rock jumping parts. LN2 recently came out on the Virtual Console but it's too bad it's only for Europe. It would have been nice to expose more North Americans to the classic.

2. It will probably surprise no one that Relentless is my favorite, but Head Over Heels definitely deserves a runner up nod.

3. Sorry, but it's not even a contest. I enjoyed Relentless (and still regret never playing Relentless 2) but Landstalker is one of the best action/RPGs ever. It helps that I played it using the Genesis arcade stick.

James

4. I enjoyed the SNES version of Shadowrun (even though it wasn't as good as the Genesis one).

5. Light Crusader, yo.

6. What? No love for Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters? For shame!

Awesome Atari game that really deserved more home ports.

7. Where's the love for Crusader? Awesome, awesome game.

Does Syndicate count?

8. Landstalker.

A few years aso a house mate who hadn't played games since the NES days, played straight through almost non-stop over two days using the stock 3-button pad, and never once complained about diagonals.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    What? No love for Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters? For shame!

Awesome Atari game that really deserved more home ports.
    I thought of this but would you really call it an action adventure? It's more action/arcade.

10. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Is that a fishing ninja?
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322