Thread: Book Recommendation: The Shattered Horse

Book Recommendation: The Shattered Horse

I'd like to recommend something, to those who love Epics, adventures, ancient histories, mythology, fantasy, etc. I wasn't aware this was back in print. It's one of the most amazing books ever:

The Shattered Horse by S.P. Somtow

"An age of bronze and heroes had ended; the day of iron and armies was yet unborn. The conquerors were gone, the wooden horse lay rotting; and the son of Hector came down from the mountains to reclaim the throne of ravaged, fallen Troy. But there was no way for young Astyanax to rekindle his lands glory, or wreak vengeance against his enemies until the gods spoke and gave Astyanax a destiny. Alone, nameless, the king began an odyssey across a tragic empire; the world of mad Andromache; cursed Orestes; dying Circe. The nomads path led to a predestined goal - for to save his land Astyanax had to relive the past. Kidnap the demi--goddess Helen. And start the Trojan War. Again!"
    Tor Books - 1987
    That description doesn't do the story justice by a long shot, though yeah, that's what it's about. I haven't read it in 20 years, but I've always considered it one of my favorite books.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Wolfe RE: The Shattered Horse
    "in the true sense, a work of genius."
    **edit: I should mention, I was reminded of this by the 300 thread and talks of a semi-sequel and I thought, I'd love to see Miller adapt this into a movie instead.
    Last edited by Scourge; 30 Jun 2008 at 01:21 PM.

2. I just saw this thread, so I'll add that The Shattered Horse is indeed a brilliant read. I read it when it was originally published (yes, more than two decades ago), and it is really heady stuff. Not light reading though.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

3. This sounds rad. It is on my list now. Anything with a GW blurb as a selling point deserves my attention.

Yay! Somebody might read this! Seriously though, you and everybody else should.

5. Andromache; cursed Orestes; dying Circe. The nomads path led to a predestined goal - for to save his land Astyanax had to relive the past. Kidnap the demi--goddess Helen. And start the Trojan War.

What?

7. I think thats a quote from the Illiad

8. No, that's The Shattered Horse. Astyanax gets his brains dashed in the Iliad after being thrown out a window.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

9. Book Recommendation: The Shattered Horse

Last edited by cka; 05 Apr 2009 at 03:13 AM.

10. Would you noobs quit coming in here and trying to get your post counts up so you can create spam threads? You look like a bunch of ball licking douchebags.