Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Advertising and Other Additions

1. PayPal subscriptions are very easy to set up on the forum. What a lot of places do is hold off on some forum feature and only offer it to paying members for as long as those members are paying. I have seen forums where you can only get an avatar or a custom status if you donate a certain amount per month.

What I will probably do is offer a subscription-based option to remove forum ads. The way my job works, I get a ton of money at the end of the year, but I am paid poorly throughout the rest of the year. Hosting is so expensive now, that I might just pay for a full year ahead of time once I get my holiday bonus. But what I would rather do is using year-end money for promotions. I have given away a game or two at year's end, and last year I bought a lot of gifts for everyone (and received a lot of gifts in return). I think that builds the community, involves people in the site, and is just good news all around, so I'd rather do that with my bonus.

Ideally, ad revenue would cover 100% of the costs for hosting, monthly giveaways, and programmers, writers, and artists.

Thank you to Dolemite and YellerDog.

What do you do?
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

3. He gives erotic footrubs on street corners. Christmastime is big for him.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. Salad days, salad days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. You're paying writers?

Put a little thermometer that counts down the month's hosting fees next to the paypal link. Church fundraiser style. It can be small, but it will remind people that this month's bills are due and it's time to chip in again if the donations were slow.

6. I do not pay writers, but I would like to pay for features.

7. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    Put a little thermometer that counts down the month's hosting fees next to the paypal link. Church fundraiser style. It can be small, but it will remind people that this month's bills are due and it's time to chip in again if the donations were slow.
    This is a great idea. I think I'd actually remember to pay something if you did this.

8. Just to clarify, I am doing all right financially. My debt is manageable. And remember that this thread is supposed to be about advertising. I want to be able to cover the cost of TNL. I'm not coming to you saying I need five bucks for my baby's diapers or anything like that. Just like with the Amazon links, I am saying, "Do what you normally do - buy things, surf the site - and I will set it up so your activity has the potential to offset some of the costs of running the community."

I'm still going to run contests with or without ad revenue because I am not broke. But I do see that advertising has the potential to cover existing costs and allow for further community growth and I don't want TNL to become stagnant.

9. Nick, your groveling for spare change is really getting pathetic. There must be easier ways to get rich.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

10. If I didn't spend so much money on Dolemite's services, I could afford to run TNL and buy IGN.