Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lars and The Real Girl - TNL Movie Club Season 2

1. Lars has a personality disorder

2. watched this over the weekend

There is a single fatal flaw to this film. It relies on the sole fact that the entire town overwhelmingly accepts Bianca. Aside from a lone question from the brother, and a brief sitdown with a few churchgoers, there is not one line of negativity towards Lars directly about the situation. Without showing external adversity, the movie subtracts from the portrayed reality in relation to what is our everyday society.

If you can however believe this focal point, then the movie essentially works.

Gosling did a superb job as Lars. Especially in his relationship with Bianca, it was truly believable that he saw her as real, and not as an inanimate object. There was no hesitation or akwardness in his interactions or speech that may be there from a lesser actor.

Emily Mortimer was top notch. My favorite scene from the entire film was her diatribe to Lars, outside when he was chopping wood. This was the part where she was explaining to him that the town was accepting Bianca because they loved Lars Really a great piece of dialogue and Emily perfectly relayed the emotions.

Not much more to say, It was a neat flick with an original plotline, definitely worth a watch B+

edit: also i would have used bianca as a receptacle over and over again if i were Lars
    Last edited by D_N_G; 21 Jul 2008 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    Kind of boring in places, good flick overall
    Yep.

Best scene of the movie was when Lars asks Gus what it is to become a man.

DNG is right also. I was just thinking like...this movie just glosses over any possible negativity so it can remain terminally sweet, and it shows a lot of crap like them giving her a haircut instead of more interesting stuff. The only thing that makes it remotely plausible is that it's some generic small town to begin with, so you imply that the community is small and strong.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 26 Jul 2008 at 10:03 AM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. Watched it last night, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I thought the scene in the church basement with Lars' brother and sister-in-law talking to the priest and some of the congregation more or less explained why most of the community went along with it. The lady Lars helped with the flowers earlier in the movie had dirt on the whole room and, presumably, most of the town. She made it pretty clear that if they wouldn't accept Lars' situation, she'd make them confront their own past demons they were hoping to forget.

which means the whole town not only goes to church, but goes to the same church. Any way you look at it it requires a leap of faith based on the idea that the town is small.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

6. Saw this movie and it was great. Really enjoyed it. Gosling is a brilliant actor.

(I know I know.. STFU Noob. ok ok ok Im going )

7. you need to STFU with the STFU noob stuff, cause that makes you a noob then so STFU with it.

Also, god damn i hate some of you people, sit down and enjoy a fucking movie plz

<3
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

My girlfriend rented this out of the blue, and I was thinking "WTF?"

I loved this movie. It managed to be hilarious, depressing, and disturbing at the same time. To me, any movie that tugs on my emotional strings in any way is a winner to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

9. Does this guy Lars have a lot of dough? 'Cause a Real Doll runs, like, 10 grand.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

10. He doesn't spend money on much else really.