Page 1 of 11 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Official iPhone/Touch games thead

1. Official iPhone/Touch games thead

So along with the 2.0 firmware update for the iPhone and iPod Touch --which should be releasing later today-- Apple will be launching the App Store, which is their new digital distribution platform for the devices, and potentially a very promising channel for game distribution.

Jobs just commented on the breakdown of apps that will be launching on day one, and, at least according to his math, there will be over 160 games launching with the service. I can't imagine more than five percent of those being anything of interest to us, but there should definitely be some worthwhile titles, such as..

Bomberman Touch: (It's.. you know.. Bomberman.)
    http://touch.hudson.co.jp/pc/en/app/...man/index.html (Video at link)

Aqua Forest: (Also by Hudson, creative-looking puzzler.)

Super Monkey Ball Touch: (Probably the marquee title of the launch.)

Trism (Very creative looking indie puzzle game. No details on release/price yet.)

Kroll (Looks retarded, but very impressive from a technical perspective. Almost God of War PSP-level, and this was created in two weeks)

Spore: (hay, it's Spore.)

I'm very excited for the update. I'm really looking forward to stuff like IM and eBay apps, but also, since I've gotten rid of my PSP and DS, having a new platform for portable (and especially digital) games sounds very good. I'm not terribly excited for anything announced thus far, but so much potential is there. And there already looks to be a good amount of creativity coming out.

I'd buy all of the Phoenix Wright games for my Touch, no questions asked. Do it, Capcom. Please. Also, someone needs to do a good Advance Wars clone. I'd take some RPGs, too.
    Last edited by Andy; 10 Jul 2008 at 04:37 AM.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

2. iTunes 7.7 is now available: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

The App Store isn't online yet, but this adds the functionality to your iTunes.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

3. <3 andy, ive been waiting for the app store for a year.
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

4. Shits, I have my touch but left my USB cable at home. Fail.

Also, how would you possibly play a game like Kroll with no d-pad or buttons?
    Last edited by K3V; 10 Jul 2008 at 09:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

5. Quote Originally Posted by K3V View Post
    Shits, I have my touch but left my USB cable at home. Fail.

Also, how would you possibly play a game like Kroll with no d-pad or buttons?

I bet you touch it. Just throwing that out there.

6. Well, it's kicking the shit out of the N-Gage so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    I bet you touch it. Just throwing that out there.
    Thanks, Captain Obvious.

They better have some fantastic touch controls, or the game is going to be unplayable. That's all I'm saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

8. No buttons=a lot of puzzle games and maybe some RPGs. That's all that could really work with this, I expect a port of Mercury to be on the way as well. I really love the idea of device that does everything, and the i-phone is the best we've seen so far. But it isn't quite there yet.

9. orly?

Nevermind the emulator performance, which isn't quite there yet. Not the point.

The Point: Multi-touch screen = as many buttons as you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. Because when I'm playing street fighter or any other hi-octane game that will work. Simply put a hack and slash or FPS will not work well with a touch screen.