Thread: HDMI inform me please

1. HDMI inform me please

What the hell is the difference between HDMI 1 and 1.3 cables?

Also lets say I have a setup right now with my 24" pc monitor. PC is hooked up via a DVI --> HDMI cable (monitor accepts HDMI, component and S-video). I want to get an HDMI switchbox and possibly add a PS3 or 360 to this setup. Would sound go to my LCD speakers having only the HDMI hooked up for the game systems? Not ideal, but i don't have the extra cash for dedicated sound atm. Or could i somehow split my 3.1 setup for the pc between duties? If this is possible, how would the speakers know which one to get sound from if i had both the pc and system on?

2. Just get 1.3 cables. I don't know what the difference is but they're fully backwards-compatible.

I'm pretty sure the sound would go to your monitor's speakers using that switchbox setup. I have no idea how you could get sound to your external speakers for the PS3, but as far as the 360 there's an old thread about it. Basically, you're going to need the extra cable that only comes with an Elite. You could also always just go the VGA route with the 360 though.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    What the hell is the difference between HDMI 1 and 1.3 cables?
    HDMI devices are manufactured to adhere to various versions of the specification, where each version is given a number such as 1.0, 1.2, or 1.3a.[12] Each subsequent version of the specification uses the same kind of cable but increases the bandwidth and/or capabilities of what can be transmitted over the cable.[12] For example the previous maximum pixel clock rate of HDMI interface was 165 MHz which was sufficient for supporting 1080p at 60 Hz and WUXGA (1920x1200) at 60 Hz. HDMI 1.3 increased that to 340 MHz which allows for higher resolution, such as WQXGA (2560x1600), across a single digital link.[13]
    Also lets say I have a setup right now with my 24" pc monitor. PC is hooked up via a DVI --> HDMI cable (monitor accepts HDMI, component and S-video). I want to get an HDMI switchbox and possibly add a PS3 or 360 to this setup. Would sound go to my LCD speakers having only the HDMI hooked up for the game systems? Not ideal, but i don't have the extra cash for dedicated sound atm. Or could i somehow split my 3.1 setup for the pc between duties? If this is possible, how would the speakers know which one to get sound from if i had both the pc and system on?
    If you're using only the HDMI cable then sound will only come out of what it's hooked up to, so if the cable goes directly into your monitor and your monitor only has built-in speakers then that's what it's coming out of. If your monitor has a sound output and you have speakers hooked up through there then that's where they'll go.

With the PS3 there's also a separate optical output, so you can run a cable from there to your other speakers and mute the LCD (which is what I do with my current setup as my receiver doesn't have an HDMI input). The 360 may have a separate sound output as well but I still have the older shitty one with no HDMI so I can't say that for sure.

As for which one your sound will default to will depend on how the unit was built. My guess is that the first input will be default, but that's up to the manufacturer.

4. Thanks for the info guys. Lol at the thread tag.

5. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    The 360 may have a separate sound output as well but I still have the older shitty one with no HDMI so I can't say that for sure.
    The HDMI equiped 360s can have both HDMI and optical working, but only the Elite comes with the special cable you need to adapt the a/v port to optical and clear the HDMI plug.

You can rip the cover off the stock AV cable, and plug it AND the HDMI in though.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin