Thread: Montreal's Fantasia Festival 2008

1. Montreal's Fantasia Festival 2008

So, every year Montreal holds this huge film festival called Fantasia, catering to the very niche/Japanese/indie films of the industry that people around here just eat up.

Official link: Ubisoft présente le Festival Fantasia 2008

I didn't catch many movies there, but of the few I've seen, know about...

Sukiyaki Western Django The stylized Japanese western where the actors try to speak English. Stars Tarantino
    [REC] - A spanish zombie-horror camcorder style flick (incredibly scary for the kind of tone this movie gives off)
    They showed a pre-screening to The Gotham Knight's DVD/Blu-Ray release.

And the best of all, Tokyo Gore Police, which I saw last night at the midnight screening. Pretty much the most violent film I have seen in my entire life and I'm a big fan of them (even though my initiation was pretty recent a few years back to Ichi).

And even better Ruka (main character) and the producer, director and stuntmen were in the crowd to their first screening with a live audience (answering questions too). Awesome stuff.

Obviously this isn't to promote going to Montreal, but check out the trailers and see if you recognize/get interested by any of the films. Some of them are pretty good.

2. I watched a trailer for Tokyo Gore Police and it looks awesome! When is it coming out on DVD? I have seen Sukiyaki Western Django and it was pretty terrible. The Engrish is so annoying and it's just too damn wacky (even for Miike). I want to see REC it sounds like Diary of the Dead without the suck.

3. I don't know! We tried asking the director and actors when the DVD was coming out, but there were so many questions the most important one slipped through.

Everyone I know that saw Sukiyaki Western Django said it was amazing (I didn't go), but I've had the rips for well over a year now and found the voices annoying too. Still, the concept seemed original to me.

REC is messed up.

4. REC is decent flick. Got me jumping few times.

Sukiyaki Western Django is overrated. It had few decent parts but overall boring and tame by Miike standards.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rocca View Post
    Sukiyaki Western Django The stylized Japanese western where the actors try to speak English. Stars Tarantino
    No, it doesn't.

Tarantino has a small Cameo and that's it.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rocca View Post
    Everyone I know that saw Sukiyaki Western Django said it was amazing (I didn't go), but I've had the rips for well over a year now and found the voices annoying too. Still, the concept seemed original to me.
    Original?

It's yet another remake of Yojimbo. That's been done how many times now?

It's an alright movie, but nothing special.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.