Page 1 of 18 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: HDTV 4ME2C

HDTV 4ME2C

OK! After, like, 4 years out I'd like to rejoin the HD revolution. Its time.

Looking for 32" or less 1080p set... I don't know shit about anything I looked on newegg and there are lots of things that confuse me. I'd like it to be LCD or whatever is skinny so I can back it up against a wall. I don't have, and will never get cable. This will be used for watching movies via the modbox and playing Galaga on my 360. Burnout too.

I had a Toshiba (Samsung?) something or other back in 2002 that was plenty nice enough, so I figure I don't need high end bleeding edge tech this time around. I'd like to spend no more than $700.

I just want my 360 to look sexy. Can the 360 (launch model) even output 1080p through component? should I just get a 720p joint? The chances of me getting a ps3 are VERY slim, though maybe a bluray player in a couple years.

You guys have never steered me wrong in terms of technology before... help a brother out.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Looking for 32" or less 1080p set ....should I just get a 720p joint?
    The rule of thumb seems to be that 1080p is wasted on anything less than a 42' set. I have been pretty happy with Samsung for the smaller sized stuff.

Is that true, or just something that some guy told you he heard from somewhere.

4. Is there a difference?

Yes. One is factually accurate, one is Street Fighter 6 in Japan.

6. I heard 7 was the latest

7. When I feel I'm not getting enough geek from TNL, I go to the AVS forums. That seemed to be what all the fags on that site stated.

8. At that size I'd save a couple hundo and go with a 720p set. If your 360 has no HDMI there is also no point to go 1080p, and you probably won't be watching blu-ray anyway for a few years. This chart is by no means law but it gives a fair gauge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resolution_chart.png 
Views:	358 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	38396  

9. Its a huge Internet nerd debate, but from my own personal viewing experence, 1080p is a waste on a set that small.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6810011-1.html

10. OK, so what's the bottom line: Should I go 1080p or 720p?
    First and foremost, some people just want what's considered the best spec on a TV. If you're one of those people, spend the extra dough, you'll feel better in the long run. Secondly, if you're thinking of going big, really big (a 55-inch or larger screen), or you like to sit really close (closer than 1.5 times the diagonal measurement), the extra resolution may make it worth the difference--as long as you have a pristine, 1080i or 1080p HD source to feed into the set. And finally, it's a good idea to go with 1080p if you plan to use your TV a lot as a big computer monitor. That said, if you set your computer to output at 1,920x1,080, you may find that the icons and text on the screen are too small to view from far away (as a result, you may end up zooming the desktop or even changing to a lower resolution). But a 1080p set does give you some added flexibility (and sharpness) when it comes to computer connectivity.

If none of those factors jump out at you as true priorities--and you are working on a tight budget and want to save some dough--a 720p set is going to do you just fine. HD will still look great on your set, I swear. In fact, our current highest-scoring HDTV, the Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080HD, is a 720p, er--768p, model.
    I am more than happy with my 32" Olevia 720p set I picked up a year and a half ago for $550, the bulit-in scaler sucks, but my DirecTV box handes all the upconversion for it.

I would honestly, look up reviews and get the set in your price range that does the best job on SD. HD is easy for any HD set, what makes a TV is how well it handles SD content.
    Last edited by Wildkat; 15 Jul 2008 at 03:14 PM.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

10. I recently picked up a Gateway 24" (http://www.gateway.com/accessories/p...51R.php?seg=hm) computer monitor which outputs 1080p refurb for 400 with a year warranty . I've got it hooked up to my computer (vga), ps3 (hdmi to dvi)and 360 (component).

The only thing it doesn't do is support audio, which I'm doing through another source anyway, so win win. edit: and it supports audio with an add on if you care to buy one.