Thread: Lost Planet

1. Lost Planet

From here:

WB, Capcom discover 'Lost Planet'
    David Hayter to write videogame adaptation
    By MICHAEL FLEMING, BEN FRITZ

Warner Bros. and Capcom are traveling to "Lost Planet." The studio will distribute a pic based on the hit vidgame that will be co-financed by the Japanese publisher.
    David Hayter, who is coming off the Zack Snyder-directed WB pic "Watchmen," will pen the screenplay.

Project is set to be announced today at the E3 videogame confab held in downtown L.A.

Avi Arad, Ari Arad and Steven Paul will produce through Seaside Entertainment, the shingle they formed to produce fantasy fare.

"Lost Planet," which was released in Japan in late 2006 and North America in early 2007, has sold over 2 million units. A sequel is believed to be in the works.

The vidgame revolves around an expedition to an ice planet that harbors an energy source with the potential to save mankind.

WB will have worldwide distribution rights on "Lost Planet."

Capcom is becoming an increasingly active participant in movie transfers of its vidgame hits. The publisher so far has had "Resident Evil" turned into three films, with a fourth in the works. It is currently partnered with Hyde Park Entertainment on a live action version of its game "Street Fighter" and has a feature version of "Onimusha" at Paramount.

Financing strategy of "Lost Planet" is still being finalized, but Capcom is expected to contribute coin, as it is on "Street Fighter."

The Seaside trio most recently made a DreamWorks deal for a 3-D live action feature adaptation of the futuristic Japanese manga classic "Ghost in the Shell," which is a passion project of Steven Spielberg.

Hayter, who is well known to gamers for voicing Solid Snake in Konami's hit "Metal Gear Solid" vidgame series, has had a long association with Avi Arad from the days when the producer ran the film arm of Marvel Comics. Hayter scripted many early drafts of superhero movies for Arad, but is best known for his script work on "X-Men" and "X2."
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

2. Neat. Hope it turns out better than the RE franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. It's certainly not shakespeare, but as a dumb special FX summer popcorn flick, "giant mechs vs. giant bugs in a postapocalyptic snow world" could be pretty friggin' awesome.