Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the PSP dead?

1. Is the PSP dead?

I want reasons to get a PSP aside from homebrew (first thing I'd do with the new system would be get the newest firmware ;p)

I just want to know if this thing has been aborted already. After playing the DS again, I realized that I would still play a portable system. I just don't want it to be the DS because it is a piece of shit. I need to do my part to ensure that a good handheld should survive.

So do Japanese devs make games for this thing? What can you do with the system with the real firmware? Can I play any PS1 game on it, or do they need to come from the PSstore?

What games that don't get any attention are any good? I am not super interested in "cut-down PS2 games" if you know what I mean. But if they're THAT good, I'd pay them.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 19 Jul 2008 at 12:06 PM.

2. Custom FW allows you to play any PS1 game. Real firmware only allows you to play the ones available from PSN store.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    I want reasons to get a PSP aside from homebrew (first thing I'd do with the new system would be get the newest firmware ;p)
    I haven't tried to play a new game in a month or two but last I checked, there was no downside to custom firmware. Every new game should work, as far as I know.

4. Given Monster Hunter and shit, I'd be surprised if Japanese developers completely dropped the thing. It's been dry game-wise, lately, though.

5. Not that I can say this with 100% certainty, but with the PSP doing crazy hardware numbers in the last year ~ half a year, a lot of people are expecting a "rebirth" of sorts of software in Japan. So, it's possible that the software situation is going to be getting better in the upcoming year. Then again, maybe not. Since the PSP was seen as dead over there until that point, there wasn't a lot of software development going on. So, we have to kind of wait a bit to see if games are back in development. (We'll probably know more at the upcoming PlayStation event, and at TGS.)

The problem, plain and simple, is game piracy. It's killed the PSP, which really sucks, because the PSP honestly is an awesome little system with a shitload of potential. (I love the DS, but honestly, I'd love to be doing far more gaming on my PSP than I am currently. I wish all of the great PS2 development that was going on was simply moved over to the PSP from this point on.) I think if anything is going to give the PSP a true chance at a second life, it'll be downloadable games. All new PSP games need to be available over PSN, and if Sony can hurry up and get the store onto the PSP, it'll make the possibility of digital distribution of games far more likely.

As for custom firmware, I dunno. I like being able to play Lammy on my PSP (purchased from Japanese PSN store), but really, I'm not sure there are more than like five PS1 games I'd really care to play on the thing. Emulators are more interesting, but even then, it's a question of being worth the trouble or not. I've got an older PSP now, but want one of the slims, so maybe when I pick that up I'll go back to looking into custom firmware.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Yeah, see, they buy MH and nothing else. I want to get the Ghouls and Ghosts game, some of the other stuff...

There's just 10 DS announcements for every PSP one and the longer it goes, the more it sucks balls. I got rid of the thing in the first place because they're not making anything for it. The system actually sells well. It's just the Dreamcast all over again in terms of software support. After a while, it dried up and then died.

If custom firmware is a two step process, I'd be willing to go that route to make the system more worthwhile. It really is a slick system, the controls are better but not perfect with the Slim, I can use it as a music player if I want. I just want some games ;(
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 19 Jul 2008 at 12:22 PM.

7. Get one cause the God of War limited edition is beautiful.

And Doshi is right, the PSP is the top selling Japanese system of 2008 so far, EGM stated a few issues back that announcements would be cropping up, I'm guessing TGS.

8. I dont play it too much but the games seem to drop in price pretty quick. Dracula X was $20 just a few months after release.

The DS doesnt have dick for games. I've got far more PSP games.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

The next two or three months are rather dry regarding PSP game releases, but there were so many great PSP games released earlier in the year that it doesn't matter much to me.
    "PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto." -- Kaz Hirai

10. There are lot of good games for the PSP. I've never used homebrew games or pirated anything on my PSP (mostly because I'm lazy) and I've gotten a lot more fun out of it than my DS. LocoRoco and Crisis Core have been the games I've been playing for it recently. I haven't gotten around to trying out God of War or Agent Clank, but I hear those are good as well. PSP is definitely not dead