• I have never owned one

26 50.98%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ColecoVision

1. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    LONG LIVE GORF
    BITE THE DUST, SPACE CADET.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    This is pretty much my sentiment too, they aren't bad games but I can't say anything pre nes has held my attention for more than ten minutes. The games just aren't that enjoyable with out buckets of nostalgia to back them up.
    I find myself feeling the same way.

And then I think, what about the kids today raised on the N64?

*shudder*
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Vectrex and the 2600 have alot of great games that are pre-NES. The graphics are lacking, but the fun is there. Pitfall, Pitfall 2, Star Raiders, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Yars Revenge, Pressure Cooker, River Raid and many more are still somewhat playable today.

4. NES and Atari both have a lot of crap to wade through if you aren't guided by the light of childhood memories, but there's a ton of good stuff to be had there.

Coleco has a very solid little library.

Quote Originally Posted by Rem
    The games just aren't that enjoyable with out buckets of nostalgia to back them up.
    I completely disagree with this. While I have lots of nostalgia for that era, there are tons of games that hold up on gameplay alone, many of which I didn't get to play until years later. RPGs, racers, and sports games from that era generally haven't aged as well but many shooters, platformers, and maze games have. It's almost necessary to be a fan of score-based games, though. If all you want to play are games with endings, that narrows the number of pre-NES games you'll like down a lot.

I have watched my some of my cousins who were born in the late '80s playing games like Archon on the C64 and loving it, and got a neighbour kid addicted to TRON Deadly Discs on Intellivision. I knew it wasn't just nostalgia that made me still love the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    NES and Atari both have a lot of crap to wade through if you aren't guided by the light of childhood memories, but there's a ton of good stuff to be had there.

Coleco has a very solid little library.
    Exactly. There's a lot of shitty stuff out there, especially on systems that have a ton of games. Crap developers come out of the woodwork when something's popular.

Even the lesser systems often have some carefully hidden gems. I thought the Odyssey2 sucked pretty bad until I played games like KC's Krazy Chase, Turtles, and Killer Bees!.

6. I'm not saying the games are bad, just uninteresting to me.
    It's almost necessary to be a fan of score-based games
    And I'm not, I don't think it is even possible for me to care less about scores.
    If all you want to play are games with endings, that narrows the number of pre-NES games you'll like down a lot.
    It's not endings I want, It's change or progression. As soon as a clear a stage only to be rewarded with the exact same thing, well that's boring to me. I think Donkey Kong is a great game, but after I let the big ape fall only to be slapped back to the first stage well...

7. So you don't like Ms Pac-Man? HERETIC!!! BURN!!!

8. I had an arcade unit Ms Pac-Man for a couple years. I wouldn't touch the Coleco version with a borrowed stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    So you don't like Ms Pac-Man? HERETIC!!! BURN!!!
    I like all of the games fine, they just don't hold me for very long.

10. I never had a colecovision.

I still remember the first time I played one over at my friends house and being absolutely blown away by donkey kong and especially zaxxon.

Man zaxxon was seriously big business when I first saw it. So awesome.

I didn't much like the kid who had the colecovision, mostly I just hung out with him to play zaxxon.

His folks were divorced and his mom would always take us out to mcdonalds and they ate there like four or five times a week.

Fast food was still a novely for my family, so I pretty much thought he had the coolest mom ever.

About twenty years later when I was out for a business meeting at some expensive restaurant I saw him there and he was waiting tables.

We made uneasy eye contact and didn't say anything to each other.

True story!