• I owned one (1985 and earlier)

14 27.45%
  • I owned one (after 1985)

11 21.57%
  • I have never owned one

26 50.98%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 245678 ... LastLast

Thread: ColecoVision

1. luckily mine still works and i still enjoy the delights of zaxxon, spy hunter and venture. we lost cosmic avenger though, which is a tragedy. the console was my dads since i think 82 and remains a favorite memory among my cousins and i. we used to play venture non stop at my grandma's. there were only a couple people who could beat the 2nd level though...

did anyone else have a game called the heist? the one where you are a robber and have to dodge security robots to steal paintings? it was rediculous.
    Wear more flannel.

2. This is pretty much my sentiment too, they aren't bad games but I can't say anything pre nes has held my attention for more than ten minutes. The games just aren't that enjoyable with out buckets of nostalgia to back them up.
    Berzerk and Galaga are really awesome today. And I'm way too young to have any nostalgia for them.

I can only think of arcade games that I like when I think of pre-NES stuff, though. Haven't tried much console-wise.

3. Quote Originally Posted by catsmeow View Post

did anyone else have a game called the heist? the one where you are a robber and have to dodge security robots to steal paintings? it was rediculous.
    I've played the game on the C-64. It was okay, but it really didn't hold my interest for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rem
    I'm not saying the games are bad, just uninteresting to me.
    Which is fine. I was just disagreeing that nostalgia is required. It's more a design preference thing than the games aging to unplayability in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Rem
    It's not endings I want, It's change or progression. As soon as a clear a stage only to be rewarded with the exact same thing, well that's boring to me.
    Yeah, that's where the divide between those that like and don't like the really old school stuff comes in.

The line of design philosophy very often tends to get drawn at pre-NES vs. NES (I was mostly referring to console games in my earlier post) but I think that's a inaccurate/simplified version of history. This isn't directed at you or anyone in this thread but I think it's worth noting; maybe it should be its own thread, though -

The entire industry was heading towards progression-based games with a larger variety of levels with or without the NES. First gen Famicom games weren't much different than ColecoVision games. It wasn't until it was around two years old that stuff like Super Mario Bros. was being made.

Contrast that with what was happening in computer and arcade gaming in 1983-1984, and I would say those were doing more to move game design towards non-score-focused, progression-based stuff. One of the main reasons I wanted a C64 in the mid '80s was to play stuff like Bruce Lee (which had a progression of areas and a final boss) and Aztec Challenge (which did loop after beating it but had a large variety of levels).

By the time the NES came out domestically, I never felt like it was introducing completely new styles of games; it was simply advancing what the rest of the industry had already been transitioning to for a few years. But console-biased views run strong so many are given the false impression that the industry's cultural change away from simpler, score-based stuff happened overnight or was an NES invention.

Anyway, I'm rambling but I think the ColecoVision would have had more newer style games if the company had been doing better. If Lord of the Dungeon had been released back then, it probably would have been the first cartridge with battery backup. That could have opened up new avenues on console at the time.

5. I had a C64 with the 1541 disk drive and the fucking tape machine. I never used it.

Never used the C64 or just the tape machine?

7. I had one game for the tape machine, it was a non-side scrolling shooting game in the old west where you killed guys and a mortician actually carted the dead bodies away. I liked the game but lacked the patience of waiting for that infernal tape machine to load the damn game.

Forbidden Forest was the SHIT though.

8. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I've played the game on the C-64. It was okay, but it really didn't hold my interest for long.
    yeah it was completely rediculous and we were only interested cause my cousins liked to make fun of the character jumping around and getting attacked by what we though were "killer vaccum cleaners" it was the stupidest game but it made us laugh the most, which is why we were so disappointed when it broke.
    Wear more flannel.

9. By the time the NES came out domestically, I never felt like it was introducing completely new styles of games; it was simply advancing what the rest of the industry had already been transitioning to for a few years. But console-biased views run strong so many are given the false impression that the industry's cultural change away from simpler, score-based stuff happened overnight or was an NES invention
    I believe it, my knowledge of anything pre-nes is rudimentary at best. So I'm not that surprised, I mean didn't text adventure games come out in the early 80s?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Forbidden Forest was the SHIT though.
    Forbidden Forest was shit, plain and simple. It was one of the first games I'd bought for my C-64, and it was on a cassette tape.

The other game I'd bought was Star Trek (the vector arcade game) on a cartridge. I did get some enjoyment out of that game, but we'd mastered it within a day or two.