Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self Help Books

1. Self Help Books

So I just got done re-reading How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Great stuff. Also just read The Examined Life by Robert Nozick. Also good.

Anyone else have any good (not embarassing) self-help-ish sort of book reccomendations?

Also recently reread The Philosophy of Andy Warhol, not as good as I remember it seeming when I was in college.
    -Mullet Jockey-
    Check out my site!
    Eat. Sleep. Music.

Get in the Van by Henry Rollins isn't a self help book per se.

But it you're a musician you NEED to read it no matter what you think of Henry, or Black Flag. Kind of sort of changed my life.

3. If you're looking for something on how to deal with life's quarks, The Sedona Method is a good book.

It's helped me regain my sanity.
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

4. off the top of my head:

• How to make friends and influence people. By Dale Carnegie
    • The Strangest Secret by Earl Nightingale (get the audio version)
    • The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
    • The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

5. Life's a Campaign - Chris Matthews 1
    Comedian - Jerry Seinfield 2

It doesn't matter if you don't want to be a politician or a comedian, these two bio-inspirational pieces will help you succeed in any career. At least they inspired me.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. Hey I really appreciate all the reccomendations. They all seem really good and I just got done ordering a lot of them on amazon.
    -Mullet Jockey-
    Check out my site!
    Eat. Sleep. Music.

read the subtitles to the first half of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

8. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Get in the Van by Henry Rollins isn't a self help book per se.

But it you're a musician you NEED to read it no matter what you think of Henry, or Black Flag. Kind of sort of changed my life.
    I agree with this. There's also a double CD version of a good portion of the book read by Henry - I recommend that as well (possibly even more, but your should get the book for the photo's).
    Boo, Hiss.

Maybe not what you have in mind, but I've found The Art of Worldly Wisdom by Balthasar Gracian indispensible at times.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...