Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New RAM

New RAM

ok, so I have bad ram in my computer which is causing me a world of frustration. Random shutdowns, Kernel panic, fan speeds turned up to eleven, ect. I've decided I need new ram and I can't think of a better place to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by crucial.com
    Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-6400,DDR2 PC2-4200 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*
    Where is the place to get ram on the cheap. If I wand 2gb of ram should I get a single 2gb or two 2gb sticks?

Someone link the good shit, I'm a noob.

2. newegg
    2 gig sticks are pretty cheap. get one of those instead of filling two slots with 1gig sticks. then again if using an Intel processor, you may get the benefit of dual channel operation (which is like a 1-5% increase) by running a matched pair.

Its the power PC joint.

I also have 8 slots for ram... I'm not worried about filling them up.

4. You can get 2 GB of RAM for about $25 now.

And the streets are paved with cheese!

6. You know you want 16GB of RAM.
    Fill every slot for most abundant lifestyle.

I don't need it. Which type of ram should I purchase?

DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-6400,DDR2 PC2-4200 Whats the difference?

8. All depends on the front side bus your cpu runs at. Simply, if you get ram that can run faster than your fsb you're just wasting money unless you're overclocking the cpu (which I'll assume you're not), as it will downclock itself to run at the lower speed. Ram with much more clearance in speed is made as sort of a breathing room for overclockers, or for chips that are already multiplier locked and need a fast fsb to get to their rated speed. When you overclock, you prety much speed up EVERY component in the system.

PC5300 runs at 667mhz but since it's ddr2 memory you divide that in half to get the real world speed of the fsb which is 333.

PC6400 runs at 800mhz, the real world number would then be 400.

PC4200 runs at 533mhz which is a fsb of 266mhz. I'm sure you get the point already. You'll be fine with the memory speed you have now. You should be able to find it inthe bios. Or if you want to tell me the speed of the cpu I can try to divide it out for you. I assume this is for a MAC?
    Last edited by Dyne; 27 Jul 2008 at 08:55 AM.

Its a dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5

Currently has: PC2-4200U-444

10. No sense getting anything faster than that then.